aluminum, steel, and rust

Someone mentioned to me that putting aluminum plating along a rusty spot on your tub will accelerate the rust process and can turn ugly...anyone know the truth in this?

Reply to
<ABanks5

L.W.(ßill)

So the question is what can be done to minimize dissimilar metal electrolysis.

For instance, the soft metal (Magnesium alloy?) used in the typical Jeep mirror mounts on my half doors has that powdery corrosion UNDER the paint, I assume this is from electrolysis, the other metal being the door hinges they were attached to, and the steel bolt/spring assay. inside the mount.

Obviously steel rust doesn't require dissimilar metal corrosion, just water and exposed steel. So you can use paint, rubber, or "pansy" silicone to insulate the steel. But can you do anything for parts that have dissimilar metal corrosion built in by their nature (i.e. zinc coated steel spring and carbon steel bolt/nut inside the Magnesium mirror mount)?

Reply to
Simon Juncal

Anti-seize compound. Pretty much stops dissimilar metal corrosion in its tracks.

Not a cure- all, but if you remove existing corrosion, prime and paint the affected parts and reassemble using anti-seize on the hardware, you will be in pretty good shape. Keep the moisture out as much as possible and keep any drain holes open.

John Davies Spokane WA USA

Reply to
John Davies

Cool, I've got them striped and primed, I'll do that before reassembling. Thanks.

Anyone know if dissimilar metal corrosion can cause stainless to corrode?

Reply to
Simon Juncal

Yes, it is 'stainless', not stain or corrosion proof and will still rust if the conditions are right. Some is higher quality and will last longer, but it varies a lot.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)