another Snow tire thread

The 35 inch BFGoodrich MTs on my Jeepster aren't much fun on icy roads, but are great for winter off-roading. My wifes XJ is due for tires, and is 99.99% pavment driven. We bought it this year with 31 inch dunlops and a 4 inch lift I am considering BFGoodrich ATs. What do you guys prefer , un-studded, for snow driving?

Reply to
Stupendous Man

WE have BFG AT-KO's on my F250 and my wife's TJL. They were vast improvements over the tires they replaced for winter driving. (stock for Ford, Mickey Thompsons on the TJL) I recommend them, but if you are going to stay mainly on pavement, Michelin or Yokohama might be less noisy.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

If you like the MT's for snow the AT's will really impress you!

Reply to
JimG

AT's are ok for winter driving if you get them narrow enough.

We were extremely disappointed in the 'loss' of traction when we went from a P225 to a P235 which has a wider tread. The wider tire spins way easier from a start and starts 'floating' on the highway snow about 10 mph lower than the P225.

They are still ok, but....

We now prefer to run my CJ7 with it's 7.5" wide tread on the 33x9.5 BFG Muds in the snow for trips. It has better traction than the BFG P235 AT's.

Mike

Mike Romain

I agree, the BFG A/T's have served me well in winters past. A slightly less aggressive/noisy option I'd recommend would be Bridgestone Duelers ...the a/t version, whatever it is. I had a few years on 31x10.5s and found them to be quite agreeable, every season.

J> AT's are ok for winter driving if you get them narrow enough.

Reply to
Jon

Any of the highly rated LT/SUV tires should do fine for her needs.

Reply to
billy ray

It's got the Duelers on it now, about 1/3 of the tread left and easy to make slip on wet asphalt. I'm going to make the last trip on them and head for San Diego in the morning, prices may be lower there but I will buy local and get free servicing and a road hazard guarantee I can use.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

BFG ATs, IMO are your best bet. They are great in the winter and last FOREVER. Tough as nails and availible in your size!

HTH

Carl

Reply to
Carl

About 40,000 miles of forever have passed under my Jeep since I got my set of BFG AT K/O's. I'm ready to retire next week and my brother suggests Michelins.

(retire - 4 new ones - ha ha)

So what is the best LT235/75R15 tire for a TJ?

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

BFG AT's.

Carl