ATF

My AT fluid is a dirty brown/black rather than the usual red. I can only assume this is bad, mmmmkay.

What is this generally an indication of? :(

Jas.

Reply to
Jason Backshall

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Nothing good. Could be burned clutches or bands or the transmission got overheated. Has the transmission been working OK or has it been acting strangely? Do you do a lot of towing or rock crawling? You might have a partly blocked or undersized transmission cooler.

If it was mine I'd change the fluid and filter right away and keep an eye on it.

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

WJ manual excerpt:

"...automatic transmission fluid when new is red in color. The ATF is dyed red so it can be identified from other fluids used in the vehicle such as engine oil or antifreeze. The red color is not permanent and is not an indicator of fluid condition. As the vehicle is driven, the ATF will begin to look darker in color and may eventually become brown. This is normal. A dark brown/black fluid accompanied with a burnt odor and/or deterioration in shift quality may indicate fluid deterioration or transmission component failure."

Does it smell 'burnt'?

Reply to
billy ray

What do I know, the last car I had with an automatic was a Studebaker Hawk

Jeff DeWitt

billy ray wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

What does 'burnt' ATF smell like? :)

Not really.. it just smells like.. well... transmission fluid *shrug*

Guys.. thanks for your assistance on this one. Will dump and change on the weekend, and let you know how it goes!

If one hasn't already been created, I was thinking of creating a rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys Wiki, based on content sourced from within this very newsgroup. Thoughts?

Reply to
Jason Backshall

If "it just smells like.. well... transmission fluid *shrug*" then hopefully it isn't burnt and a fluid/filter change is all you will need.

Make sure you get the correct type of fluid. DC has changed many fluid specs in recent years.

Excerpt from WG Diesel manual: DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - CAUSES OF

BURNT FLUID

Burnt, discolored fluid is a result of overheating

which has three primary causes.

(1) Internal clutch slippage, usually caused by low

line pressure, inadequate clutch apply pressure, or

clutch seal failure.

(2) A result of restricted fluid flow through the

main and/or auxiliary cooler. This condition is usually

the result of a faulty or improperly installed

drainback valve, a damaged main cooler, or severe

restrictions in the coolers and lines caused by debris

or kinked lines.

(3) Heavy duty operation with a vehicle not properly

equipped for this type of operation. Trailer towing

or similar high load operation will overheat the

transmission fluid if the vehicle is improperly

equipped. Such vehicles should have an auxiliary

transmission fluid cooler, a heavy duty cooling system,

and the engine/axle ratio combination needed to

handle heavy loads.

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - FLUID

CONTAMINATION

Transmission fluid contamination is generally a

result of:

² adding incorrect fluid ² failure to clean dipstick and fill tube when

checking level

² engine coolant entering the fluid ² internal failure that generates debris ² overheat that generates sludge (fluid breakdown) ² failure to reverse flush cooler and lines after

repair

² failure to replace contaminated converter after

repair

The use of non-recommended fluids can result in

transmission failure. The usual results are erratic

shifts, slippage, abnormal wear and eventual failure

due to fluid breakdown and sludge formation. Avoid

this condition by using recommended fluids only.

The dipstick cap and fill tube should be wiped

clean before checking fluid level. Dirt, grease and

other foreign material on the cap and tube could fall

into the tube if not removed beforehand. Take the

time to wipe the cap and tube clean before withdrawing

the dipstick.

Engine coolant in the transmission fluid is generally

caused by a cooler malfunction. The only remedy

is to replace the radiator as the cooler in the radiator

is not a serviceable part. If coolant has circulated

through the transmission, an overhaul is necessary.

The transmission cooler and lines should be

reverse flushed whenever a malfunction generates

sludge and/or debris. The torque converter should

also be replaced at the same time.

Failure to flush the cooler and lines will result in

recontamination. Flushing applies to auxiliary coolers

as well. The torque converter should also be

replaced whenever a failure generates sludge and

debris. This is necessary because normal converter

flushing procedures will not remove all contaminants.

.

Reply to
billy ray

I would love to see that. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Well.. done :)

While I'm yet to skin it or 'make it pretty' (please excuse the flowers - they're part of the default install), Wiki is up and running. At this stage, feel free to

- Create content

- Create user accounts

I'm going to start off with what I've learnt about ATF.... hopefully with time this will be come a valuable resource within the Jeeping community :)

Jas.

Reply to
Jason Backshall

Oh and I almost forgot the link

Working on organising a proper domain name in the very near future.. once I have a bit more certainty involving my transmission issues :)

J.

Reply to
Jason Backshall

Got a link?

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Brown is pretty normal. If it is bad it will smell like burnt toast.

Mike

Mike Romain