'02 WJ Hood prop rods

I know my hood prop rods are getting weak but what I would like to find out is how strong new ones are... I mean at what point will they hold or raise the hood after being unlatched?

Thanks...

Reply to
billy ray

billy ray did pass the time by typing:

about 12"

The real test of struts is in winter time. If it drops the hood on you head it's time to replace them. :)

I still wonder why they didn't stick with springs. Those last for ever.

Reply to
DougW

Tell me about it - had that experience while working on a Falcon (FoMoCo's 'large family car' here down under (available in either 4.0L six or 5.3L V8.. you know the deal), certainly wasn't pleasant, and accompanied by a lot of swearing and cursing on my part :/

Reply to
Jason Backshall

No they don't. The real reason though, is that some smart ass engineer, finally figured out how to make struts, so that the gas would stay inside for an extended length of time. The tail gate struts are still working on my eleven year old Wrangler. Much as I dislike the design, I am impressed.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

When the weather was cold the rods would just barely hold the hood if I lifted it all the way up and then allowed it to sag a bit. Tonight as I was draining the power steering fluid in the WJ I noticed they would hold the hood if I lifted it most of the way.

I removed them one at a time to test hoping that just one had failed but both show similar resistance to compression.

Reply to
billy ray

Usually when they fail, the hood will smack you on the head....

Mike

Mike Romain

Yes, The hood starts down but will hold if I carefully place it in just the right spot... well... now that the weather has warmed.....

Reply to
billy ray

Just cut yourself a broom handle too the correct length and when you open the hood shove the stick in and it will support the hood or buy yourself a hard hat :) lololol

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

I used a piece of ranch casing last night.... I didn't think of wearing a hard hat... I have two...

Reply to
billy ray

*** Real Jeeps have steel rods built in to hold up the hood. :-)

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

Maybe it is a design defect. It wouldn't be the first time. An aftermarket replacement might have more "spring" in it.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

Well.... if you think about it gas charged shocks are the same design and they daily handle thousands of pounds of force and can last the life of the vehicle.

These struts seem to gave a much more limited lifetime. Mine have been in service for less than 4 years.

Oh well.... in 10-15 degrees I won't have to worry about it until next winter...

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III