Autolite Spark Plugs?

Are these plugs any good? Any other brand that you can recommend which is better? (They will go in a 5.2L V8 318)

Reply to
Computer-Guru

I run Autolite platinum-tipped plugs and they are doing a good job for me. I once pulled them at 68,000 miles and found they were still at the same .035 gap I set them at when they were new. Good plug.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

I personally run Autolites in everything from my lawn mower, boat, 350 S10, snowmobiles, and I ran them in my race car when I raced. I always had problems with Champions, except in the lawn mower, but everything I own gets Autolites on its first plug change.

Chris

I was trying to save myself from BOydnbn89JZhzE snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com, but wouldn't let me go...

| Are these plugs any good? Any other brand that you can | recommend which is better? | (They will go in a 5.2L V8 318) | | --

The engine came with Champions, I am sticking with them.

Reply to
Joseph P

NGK - great plugs, they're in everything that has a spark plug in my garage.

In reality any plug these days is decent. What do you really want? If "good" means "run forever", then get any platinum or iridium plug and replace them every 50K or so.The biggest drawback to long life plugs is that people totally ignore tham. If a plug sits in your head for 5 or 10 years, you may find that it strips the threads out when you finally do remove it. They need to be at least looked at every few years. That way you can look for signs of internal distress.

Way OT: I scrapped the US$18 Audi iridium plugs in my wife's chipped

1.8T for US$2.50 NGK copper plugs because they shed heat from the tips so much better than the OEM ("good") plugs, allowing more power at high rpm/ high boost without the ECU having to back off on the timing. In this case better is cheaper. But I have to check the gap every 5K miles. Most people wold find that totally unacceptable these days.

When in doubt, rplace them with the exact ones that came from the factory.

John Davies

'96 Lexus LX450 '00 Audi A4 1.8T quattro Spokane WA USA

Reply to
John Davies