AW4 Questions

OK, so I know a little about automatic transmissions, but not much. I know they use between 3 and 5 sets of planetary gear sets, each consisting of three gear sets. One sun gear, three planet gears revolving around the sun gear, and an outside ring gear. I belive the AW4 has 4 gear sets.

I know that automatic transmissions uses fluid pressure on each clutch pack to engage and disengage each set of gears (sun, planet, ring) in each planetary gear set to change the way the output reflects the input, and thus each set of gears is manipulated to create (in this case) 1, 2, 3, OD, and R.

What I don't know is how many clutch packs are used per gear set, or per planetary set. This really isn't much of a concern.

My question is.. Generally when I'm wheeling with an automatic, I never leave 1st or 2nd gear. So, when the AW4 is in 'D' or 'OD' (same positon on my 2k) is there a difference in the amount of clutch packs, fluid pressure, or which clutch packs are used as opposed to when the transmission is in '1-2'? My reasoning is that if more clutch packs are used when in '1-2' than 'D', they may be less likely to slip. Slipping=heat. Heat=Death. Also, the tranmission may use different combinations of plantery sets to provide '1-2' when in 'D' then it does when in '1-2', potentially resulting in less heat.

Am I making any sense at all?

Is the line pressure higher in '1-2' than 'D'?

I know the AW4 is overbuilt, but I want to keep it as cool as possible when I'm wheeling. My 2k has the factory towing package. My plan at this time is to remove the factory cooler and replace it with a larger, radiator-style unit, and re-locate the factory cooler to somewhere inside the frame rail or (suggestions?) as an extra aux. cooler.

TIA,

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Except when actually shifting between gears, the clutch packs don't slip at all. That is all taken care off in the torque converter. A radiator cooler is not a bad idea, as it will help some with warm up of the fluid, but I don't know that you need it for off road use. The way to tell is to install a temperature gauge with a sender teed into the coolant line. That should keep you busy and out of trouble for a few days. ;^)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton