AX15 Rebuild Bearings

Is there a trick to getting the bearings off the shafts? I was going to use a gear puller hooked on first gear but it looks like there is a C clip in there...

will a bearing seporator do the trick?

How do I press the new bearing back on?

Brian Moga Waxhaw.Net

Reply to
Brian Moga

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

That link you posted contains ten references to "press"ing various parts together and apart. Hubs, shafts, bearings... ;o)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Guy I used to work with, defined transmission "special tools" as a brass drift and a set of snap ring pliers. He got a lot of transmission work, too. I think you're right. Under "Special Tools" your link lists "C-3339 Dial Indicator Set" and C-4961 Michrometer, Two Inch". If there was any real "press"ing involved, there would be a bunch of collars and adapters to buy. (What the hell is a "Michrometer"?)

The guy who is putting this thing together, needs to look at the part about different thickness snap rings. I think it may be important.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Hey Bill

Thanks for the info... This is my first tranny rebuild and I have a new respect for the internal workings of an AX15. As for snap ring pliers - 6 of the snap rings in this tranny has to be done by double screwdriver (finding them after the fly across the floor was the hard part). I am thinking a bearing seperator is needed to get these 3 started ... I can not get enough leverage from the big screw drivers.

I'm just looking for some more agressive home remedies for getting these mothers off.... (PB Blaster?)

well I will read people ideas this week and try again on Friday or Saturday.....

Brian Moga Waxhaw.Net

Reply to
Brian Moga

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

One other rebuild matter comes to mind. When I took this tranny apart there were no paper gaskets. Just good old RTV.... Do I need the paper gaskets? Does not having them affect spacing in the tranny?

Brian Moga Waxhaw.Net

Reply to
Brian Moga

The spacing appears to be taken care of by the snap ring selection. There are different philosophies on paper gaskets. Did your small parts kit come with them? On the one hand, they swell up with oil to make a better seal. That is what the old theory says anyway. On the other hand, I have seen them shrink with age, split, and leak. Most people go with RTV nowadays, as they have some to believe that it "lasts forever".

Earle

One other rebuild matter comes to mind. When I took this tranny apart there were no paper gaskets. Just good old RTV.... Do I need the paper gaskets? Does not having them affect spacing in the tranny?

Brian Moga Waxhaw.Net

Reply to
Earle Horton

Bill,

Check the spelling on that "Michrometer" again. I am familiar with micrometers, but two inch? Craftsman has an external snap ring plier, that is every bit as capable as two screwdrivers. There is nothing better for spreading stubborn battery terminals.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to