D30 W/TrueTrac Drivers side wheel engaged

The other day the road was icy and when I pulled off the grass and onto the road the front drivers side wheel was spinning. I was not in 4Hi or

4Lo... So what gives

There was not 4WD light on ... nothing but a new truetrac put into the D30 over the summer...

Does this mean my Tcase is going bad?

Brian Moga Waxhaw.Net

Reply to
Brian Moga

It might help if you say what flavor of Jeep you have.

If your front is locked and you were turning, one wheel will scuff the road. Maybe it was that?

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I'm going to guess a YJ is what yer driving, I think I heard someone saying something about how the front right is engaged. I don't know tho.

Troy

Reply to
Troy

Front left. It wouldn't have driven the wheel though, unless the transfer case was engaged. More poltergeists.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I think you may have hit the nail on the head...3" body lifts can cause all sorts of shifting problems.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

This is a 91 YJ with an I6

I know the TCase was/is engaged ... it has to be...

is this a common failure or does the 3 inch body lift not allow the TCase to disengage 4WD...

Brian Moga Waxhaw.Net

Reply to
Brian Moga

The 3" body lift is a problem with more than just the shifter... It will stress out and flex big time.

I think folks have to modify the shifter when going waaay up like that. On some there is a linkage extension you can get I believe.

You cannot drive it on pavement that way or you 'will' break something in the drivetrain.

I got stuck on pavement in 4x4 (no place to pull off the highway) and my T-case was stuck in 4x4 because it wound/bound up before I noticed the snow was gone. I finally got to stop and spin the tires to release it so it would shift to 2 WD, but I was too late. I only killed a u-joint in the front driveshaft. Our old tennant did it in a XJ and literally exploded his t-case....

Mike

Mike Romain

Wait, so ya mean the front left engages when 4wd is engaged or it's engaged all the time? Just trying to correct myself and know for sure.

Troy

Reply to
Troy

The normal torque on Jeep wheels is the right rear as the main drive wheel in 2 WD and the left front as the secondary main drive wheel when in 4x4.

That is why when you do a 5 tire rotation, the spare goes on the right rear with the right rear going to the right front and the right front to the spare.

They figure the three swapping on the main drive side will even out the wear with just swapping the left tires front to back.

There are some differentials out there that work different, but they usually put something like a 'LT' sticker on the vehicle or in it's name for Left Tire drive.

Mike

Mike Romain

On the YJ, the front left axle shaft is permanently "engaged" to the differential. There is a gizmo that disconnects the front right axle shaft when in two wheel drive. This may relate to what you were told.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

That's not right. From this description, you have a situation where the transfer case is engaged, and if you can rely on the light, the passenger's side disconnect is not. This is probably not real good for your driver's side tire or the TrueTrac. If this is really happening, the problem could be that the transfer case is internally in gear, while the shifter is not in a 4WD position.

The front drive shaft should turn freely, with both front wheels on the ground. This is for an open differential. I am not sure whether the TrueTrac will prevent that. At any rate, if you jack the front wheels off the ground, the front drive shaft should definitely turn freely. If it does not, then something is bound up inside the transfer case.

Earle

Drivers side front wheel is engaged when NOT in 4WD (no light on dash)

Brian Moga Waxhaw.Net

Reply to
Earle Horton

Drivers side front wheel is engaged when NOT in 4WD (no light on dash)

Brian Moga Waxhaw.Net

Reply to
Brian Moga

Why isn't anyone suggesting this could be a broken axle disconnect motor?

While in 2WD, jack up the front right wheel, does it turn freely without spinning the front drive shaft? If the driveshaft spins then the axle disconnect isn't working.

--Charlie

Drivers side front wheel is engaged when NOT in 4WD (no light on dash)

Brian Moga Waxhaw.Net

Reply to
Charlie Dellacona

Are you a TROLL?

You said yesterday that it was indeed in 4x4 because your body lift won't allow it to shift out of 4x4.

If you are going to troll, get your story straight. Fishing for other answers doesn't get you any points.

Just in case you aren't a total foole, when you actually shift into what you think is 4x4, does the light come on?

Mike

Mike Romain

Because he stated his left front tire was under drive power and he stated his 3" body lift wasn't set up for the t-case shifter.

Mike

Mike Romain

When in 4HI there is a light on dash

When in 2HI no light on dash (but front drivers wheel still pulls)

Body lift may not allow shifter to completely disengage TCase (I dont know this for sure)

Brian Moga Waxhaw.Net

Reply to
Brian Moga

Now we are getting somewhere. The front driver's side wheel is a main drive wheel when in 4x4.

You really need to go under and see if you can adjust the shifter lever. It is very likely you cannot do this without an additional linkage piece.

Most body lift kits for YJ's anyway come with this extension linkage piece for the shifter.

On the last 3" body lift I helped 'lower', we had to take this extension out so it would shift with the 1.5" lift we left in. I simply cut the hex spacers in half and we gave the other half to another Jeeper from this group so they both have 1.5" lifts.

To adjust the t-case shift lever on a stock setup, you pull it all the way back and to the side into 4 low, then put a spacer like a 1/8" drill bit between the shifter and the gate or stop bar, then adjust the rod so the t-case lever is all the way into 4 low.

If you cannot do this, you need an extension for the rod.

Mike

Mike Romain