Beadlocks

I know that real beadlocks are not legal on the street (at least in OR, I dont know about WA or elsewhere), however, with all the new "street locks" out there, has anyone had any problem with the cops over them?

In your opinions, what are the pro's and con's to running beadlocks for a street/trail rig (one thats driven to the trail head)?

My rig is street legal more or less right now. If they wanted to write me up, they could hit me for flares, mud flaps, license plate light, side markers and probably a few other things if they really wanted to.

I am looking at new tires soon and thought I would look into the beadlocks a little bit and also into the ceramic balancers (beads inside the tires) before I decided what to do.

Thanks.

-jenn 98 TJ

Reply to
jbjeep

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

These double beadlocks with PVC insert are DOT approved:

The Staun product, AKA Second Air (
), looks to be a much better option for the daily driver than external bead-locks (easier to balance, safer, lower maintenance), but there are a few disadvantages:

  1. Airing up/down takes longer. Flow to/from the tire is partly restricted by the inner tube. Also inner tube pressure changes with tire pressure, so it has to be aired up/down as well.

  1. Tricky to install even with a mounting machine. Not suitable for tire changes on the trail.

  2. No external rim protection like an outer bead lock. More damage to rim and ingress of debris between bead and rim.

  1. US0-0 for a set of four, rims not included. That's nearly as much as a set of DOT approved double beadlock rims.

Just a common inner tube in a kevlar 'tire'. It'll be nice to see these drop in price as they catch on.

Steve

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

The benefit is to the manufacturer. Provides a competitive advantage in marketing by playing on the 'street-legal' concerns of buyers. Just pointing out that some manufacturers do get theirs approved.

Steve

Jerry Bransford wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Aside from the fact that whether or not it is DOT approved has nothing to do with it making a wheel legal for the street. They're playing on rumor and bad information.

Jerry

Steve wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Technically beadlocks are not illegal in any state. Other than Hutchinson, they just aren't DOT approved. I haven't heard of anyone being ticketed for beads, however that doesnt mean it can't happen. Moab, UT cops handed out a few warnings re: beadlocks a few years ago, but only in conjunction with other violations.

Reply to
SoK66