would painting the wrangler camouflage be street legal?

I'm selling a street bike that i transformed into an off road bike on ebay and i thought of painting my wrangler with camouflage colors, it would look awesome. Does anyone know if that would be a legal color or pattern to use on a street registered jeep? I've seen aftermarket soft tops that have the pattern. Here's the bike for a reference:

I'm not trying to promote the auction, i just thought of the idea when i was checking out the status of the auction. The jeep in question looks like this now:

I also wouldn't have to do any body work to it that way.

walt '93 YJ

Reply to
wallster

Of course it's legal.

wallster wrote:

Jerry Bransford

Only question is why? Camo Jeeps dont work to well in the "urban" jungle .. :)

Snow...

Snow

contact tim "zippo" bashford on this newsgroup and send him a picture of your jeep. hes great with photoshop and can show you what it would look like with the new paint job in all sorts of patterns. i was thinking of painting my khaki rubicon desert camo. her turned this picture:

into this picture:
and this picture:
into this picture:
he also did green camo and winter camo.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Yep. I see a lot of ex-military Jeeps owned by civilians and they are usually some form of camo colours (altho mostly the traditional green-black) ...I'm pretty sure you can paint your vehicle however you want as long as it doesn't look like a police/medical vehicle.

Reply to
griffin

walt '93 YJ

Reply to
wallster

yeah i thought so to. had i kept the '03 i would have probably gone with that since i already had the khaki background.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Nathan, I've caught up with you about a year ago (or two) on sci.engr.joining.welding, you answered a question i had. Check out my website:

sign the guest book. I've got some cool metalworking crap on there.I'm seriously considering the camouflage paint scheme, that would be the cat's ass. First I have to get a title for the wrangler (should have my State inspection in about a month) then i can change the color.Thanks for the pics. walt '93 YJ

Reply to
wallster

cool, always glad to help when i can.

thats cool, you do the flash yourself? thats something i always wanted to learn but never took the time.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Yea, but what if it were "Urban" camouflage. You know like the stuff they sell in the survival magazines. I never have seen a building painted multiple shades of gray and black.

K Horner

yeah i did the flash with a small program call "SWiSH lite v1.52" it's a real simple tool and it's pretty cheap too, (like $30. to download)

walt '93 YJ

Reply to
wallster

One woulud have to wonder why you would paint a vehicle in a color scheme that would make it difficult to find. When I go wheeling, I always have to think about how the helicopters will get to find me. Having a como color scheme would only make finding you that much more difficult, and if they are looking for you there must be a good reason. I would think that a nice florescent orange would be the color to have.

Jeff Strickland

Good point Jeff. I used to fly the occasional SAR mission (always just practice, never actually got called to fly a real SAR mission) and I discovered that it's hard enough to find a normally painted vehicle that is sitting in open terrain, let alone one that was painted with a camouflage pattern. If me and my Jeep were stranded out in the middle of the boondocks, I would suddenly feel pretty vulnerable if my TJ had been painted with a camouflage pattern.

Jerry

Jeff Strickland wrote:

Jerry Bransford

In my home state of Connecticut yo can paint your vehicle any colors you wish -- I could paint my Cherokee to look like a fire department vehicle if I wanted, so long as I don't pretend to be responding to an emergency in it.

But here you do have to tell DMV that you did so within a certain time frame (I think it is 5 business days).

-- "I defer to your plainly more vivid memories of topless women with whips....r" R. H. Draney recalls AFU in the Good Old Days.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

I'd have some good fun turning an old E350 van into a Bomb Squad truck ...ohhhh the fun you could have with your neighbours ;p

Reply to
griffin

Setting your truck on fire so it can be seen from a distance seems a little counter-productive to me. ;-)

If we can replace the smoke and ash with florescent paint that can be seen from the ISS ...

Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Will Honea

But if the camouflage on those buildings was really good would you have seen them?

Jeff DeWitt

K Horner wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt