Bill and Jerry: I finally broke my Dana35

About a year ago I got into a thread with Bill and Jerry about wheelin' a D35 with 35s and a locker. They both assured me it would break (this I knew). I promised I would send pics of the break. I do not want to clog the group with pics, so email me directly for pics.

I broke at all Camp Jeep of all places. I had finished all my trails (I was a trail guide) and I decided to go on a buddies run before we left to go home. I was crawling up the rocks (4:1 w/4.88s) nicely when all the weight shifted to the rear axle. I heard the very distinctive bang and new what happened. After I winched myself up,we cut down a tree and strapped it to the frame. 15 minutes later I was driving out to the trail head to load up the trailer and head home. Oh well... time for the 8.8

Reply to
Doug Fritz

I've got a 35 acting as a ornament in the driveway if you want it, daughter's YJ comes out of shop today with ford 9" , locker and 4.88s.

Reply to
Greg

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Well at least you figured out how to get your Jeep out... most break them and then stand around pouting and waiting for help from someone who knows what they're doing. :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

I'll be honest. I was familiar with the concept and got some real good ideas from Bill's webiste. When it happened I remembered the tree trick. I have been unsuccessful in convincing my wife to go to the 8.8 until I run out of spare shafts. I have one more driver's left now and 1 passenger. I only have one bearing and seal left now too. I hate to keep breaking and stopping the trail, but the sooner I blow through these shafts the sooner I can install the 8.8. Thanks again for all the advice in the past.

Reply to
Doug Fritz

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Another candidate for the smelter!

Unfortunately the D35 is like a ticking time bomb. A buddy in Denver couldn't afford a new rear axle so he installed one of the Super 35 kits. I'm watching with interest, the Detroit on the thing is bound to lay a heap of torque on one axle at some point and it will be interesting to see if the larger shafts can take it. Certainly better than leaving it stock.

Reply to
Jerry McG

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Christ, who is that mouthbreather in the picture 10 down 2 over? I can almost hear the banjos :)

Reply to
Sleestak