Gears and axles

Here's what I've got: 99 TJ SE (2.5L, 5spd), 4" lift, POS D35 in the rear and D30 up front. I'm debating what to do now. If money wasn't an issue, I'd hunt down an old Ford 8.8 and get it fitted, gears and all. Of course money is an issue, SO....

I can't seem to find any used D44s out there. That would make this so much easier. I'm going to get 33's. I have to regear. I know that.

So, here are my options:

  1. regear the existing axles. I assume 4.88's are the best way to go.
  2. Wait and buy an 8.8 and regear then. Include lockers???
  3. Buy the 33's and not regear until later and go with the 8.8 then.
  4. Buy Super 35 kit and Detroit locker (about 0 or so) and regear.
  5. Do nothing until I have enough money to do it all at once.

Thoughts? I don't have a lot of $$ laying around so this is a slow-but-sure build up.

Thanks!

Eric

99 TJ SE
Reply to
Eric

Do #5, it will be cheaper and more satisfying if you do. FWIW, I'd toss the

35 into a pond somewhere and get a good aftermarket 44 or 9".
Reply to
Jerry McG

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

That statement is incorrect, I know several people running 4.88 in D35s, Randys ring and pinion has them for sure. You should have 4.10s in there now, put your 33s on and see how it does before you spend any money - if you don't do a lot of highway riding, you might be able to live with it until you get some more cash together.

Tookie - Denham Springs, LA

88YJ, 4" lift, 33" TSLs, Lock-Rights PosiLock, 4.10s
Reply to
Tookie

Thanks for the links Bill. That's scary, though. I've talked to a few different shops to get quotes on gears and none of them have said anything about the ring gear being too small for 4.88's.

Also, IIRC, getting a CV kit and new driveshaft will allow me to get rid of the t-case drop kit, correct? If I'm going to get a new axle (i.e. an 8.8) I assume I should wait until then to get the kit as the length of the driveshaft may change. Is that correct?

Thanks!

Reply to
Eric

I do have 4.10's but have heard that throwing 33's on there will likely burn up my clutch.

I do highway driv>

Reply to
Eric

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

If you'd use the proper search arguments with Google, you'd have found 143 links for Dana 35c and 4.88.
Not that I recommend 4.88 with a Dana 35c either.

Jerry

-- Jerry Bransford PP-ASEL N6TAY See the Geezer Jeep at

Jerry Bransford

If you'd use the proper search arguments with Google, you'd have found 143 links for Dana 35c and 4.88.
Not that I recommend 4.88 with a Dana 35c either.

Jerry

-- Jerry Bransford PP-ASEL N6TAY See the Geezer Jeep at

Jerry Bransford

There are three shops here in San Antonio and one in Biloxi, MS that will. Those are the people I've talked to so far. Every one of them has recommended 4.88's (although I was told 4.56's would be good enough by one shop) knowing I have a Dana 35c. One shop did say that I SHOULD get an 8.8 or Dana 44 first if possible. Can't seem to find either one anywhere, though.

Reply to
Eric

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Geeze! Buy my 44 rear and 25 front with 4.27 in them and use the savings to fit them up any way you like. Even with shipping them won't put you in the range of dinero you're looking at. I'm only asking $100 for the pair complete with Warn lock-o-matics.

Cheers, - Jeff G zip code 53538

Reply to
Bubba Kahuna (only 1 'J' in my address)

Shoot me an email: gymrat"at"satx.rr.com. I'm all over those. Are you willing to do the legwork to ship them? I'll cover cost, obviously.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

try