Body Control Module

I was wondering how hard it would be to add "Vehicle Information Centre" (the fuel economy/range) on my 95 Grand Cherokee. How hard would it be?

Reply to
Catman

mwell....

The VIC is that screen just in front of the shifter that tells you what gear your in and shows diagnostics. The MPG/Trip Meter goes in an overhead console that either is short or runs all the way back to the rear seat. The short version is used on ZJs with sun roofs.

Both are the same "guts" up front. Picture of the 93 guts

two lines running back are for the rear passenger lamps.

physically the connectors are probably there just under the headliner. (hard to tell but most assembly lines just use one harness) The connector goes in the lower socket in that pic, 7 pins.

The problem is what wires are available up there and if the ECU has to be reprogrammed to work with the display. That I don't know.

When your working with the overhead or any of the systems that ride the data bus, don't guess with the wires. Throw 12v across the data bus and it can kill the ECU.

Reply to
DougW

If your looking for the over head console, I have two sitting in the garage, One is from a 98 Grand (short version) and the other came out of a 95 Grand (long version). Both of them are grey and from what I was told they both worked when they were removed. Since I have no way of testing them and the wife wont let me rip her ZJ apart to test them, I have to take the word of the person I got them from he bought them to instal in his older XJ but before he got either of them fully installed his j**p got totaled. Let me know if your intrested in one of them. I can sell one to you for much less then they go for on Ebay, (plus shipping of course).

Snow...

Catman wrote:

Reply to
Snow

If you take Snow up on his offer, I'd go with the 95 long version simply because the format used on the data bus may have changed and 95 is your year.

The long version gives you forward lights, rear passenger lights, sunglass holder, and a place you can tuck a garage door remote. It also has a spot for the security system unit, if installed

Oh.. one thing you might need to get is the outside temperature probe. It goes in the middle of the GOR (grill opening reinforcement) behind the center of the outer grill and in front of the condenser. The wiring is there on all models, it's standard, but the sensor probably isn't.

One thing you want to remember is never put a magnet on the roof over the unit, that messes up the compass.

If you get one let me know and I'll scan some pages from the service book and schematics to help you get it working.

Reply to
DougW