skid plate thickness.

I am looking into making my own skid plates and corner guards for my TJ. My main question is how thick is enough? I have seen that most manfacturers use 3/16, and i was wondering about using 1/8 due to easier cutting and shaping. Is this enough to stop a rock from causing a major dent to should I go the 3/16 route? Any advice (besides bigger is always better) or preferably experience with either or both of these thicknesses is always preferred.

Jeremy

98 TJ still mostly stock.
Reply to
Jeremy Hupe

Use 3/16. 1/8 is marginally OK for the corner guards but will NOT hold up to rocks in a skid plate.

I built my high clearance tranny/transfer case skid with 1/4" steel. It's taken some hard hits with no damage.

Robert Bills KG6LMV Orange County CA

Robert Bills