Original TJ Body Mount Bolts

I'm planning on removing the 3" body lift from my 2002 Jeep TJ, and I need a set of original TJ body mount bolts. I've only got one vehicle, so removing the bolts and heading to the hardware store with them in hand would be a headache, so I could really use one of the following three things, in descending order of preference:

1) A link to someone who sells a new set of stock body mounting bolts for a TJ, with or without new mounts. All the original height mount kits I've found do not include the bolts.

2) Someone here who has a set of original TJ bolts they would be willing to sell

3) A description of the bolts accurate enough I can take to a hardware store and walk out with all the bolts I need.

Thanks!

Reply to
Christopher Vaughan

Consider taking ONE bolt off at the hardware store, take it inside, and subtract 3" off of it.... Get the right bolt quality.

Reply to
mark

That is what I started to type, but then questioned if all the bolts were the same length. Also you could always buy them a little long, thread on a nut, then cut to length. When you remove the nut it will help to clean the threads again.

Reply to
Rusted

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I'm thinking there are two different sized bolts. I may end up making a trip up to the local jeep dealership and spend some time talking to their parts guy.

Thanks for the reply...

Reply to
Chris Vaughan

Hi Bill,

Why would the mounts be broken? The original installer just put the 3" spacers on top of the original mounts. I can't image they are actually damaged...

L=2EW. Hughes III (=DFill) wrote:

Reply to
Chris Vaughan

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

He may want to know how many of each.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Why not just stop by the parts counter at his local Jeep dealer and ask?

Reply to
billy ray

Yeah, that's what I'm going to do. I was trying to avoid the dealership, but it's not THAT painful. My choices had been to either remove the body lift myself or trade the whole jeep in on a brand new Rubicon. I'd hate to get to the dealership and see a shiny red Rubicon on the lot, and be tempted beyond my ability to bear.

:)

Reply to
Chris Vaughan

All you need do is look at the price sticker. The shock will put buying 6 nuts/bolts into perspective.

That and you needn't actually buy the bolts from them.... just find out the sizes....

Reply to
billy ray

They are sure proud of their stuff, ain't they?

Reply to
Chris Vaughan

For the late CJ series the only bolt that was different was the grill mount, if memory serves. /Maybe/ the cowl mounts, too. You could eyeball each mount to look for obvious differences and pull representative samples to compare against each other, then put all but one back in. You're going to have to bust them loose later anyway.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

This might help:

It is a conversation about _adding_ a 1" lift to a YJ.

My completely SWAG is that the bolts should be the same.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

The botls get rusted in, tend to break. Expect to break at least one bolt and/or one weld nut up inside the body.

A 2002 should not be THAT rusty but hitt> Hi Bill,

Reply to
RoyJ

It looks like you're right.

I talked to the guy at the Jeep parts counter, and he said he would order the bolts for me if I wanted, at $2.25 each, which isn't as bad as I feared.

I've decided to put in a 1" Daystar body-mount replacment set, though, and plan on doing the install tomorrow along with a Skyjacker 2" spring spacer kit. That will put me at the same height without all that nasty gap between the frame and the body.

I appreciate all the good advice I got from everybody. Hopefully, since the Jeep has lived in the warm south, and never seen snow (or salt), I won't have too bad a time with frozen bolts.

A guy I work with is going to help with the install, and we are going to put the old 3" spacers/bolts on his YJ, giving him 6" of total lift. That's way more than I would want, but he's excited, and already shopping for a set of 35's.

Reply to
Chris Vaughan

Might I recommend just cutting yours in half and giving the other half to your friend?

I did this successfully a few years back for a couple gents from this group.

The 3" lift is just plain too much stress on the mounting points and usually will cause issues.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
philthy