Brake line question.

Bill, I know you'll have an answer for this one. I'm need to get some extended brakelines for the front of my 86 CJ7. (Just got the Rubicon express 2-1/2" lift, MX6 Shocks, gears, detroit lockers, and 1pc axles.) I already have a long line for the back. Yesterday I went to a place on Convoy to have a set made and he didn't know the right Earls fittings for each end of the hoses. Anyone know what they are or where I can find that information? I can't afford to put the CJ down for a day while I take off the old hose and take it to him for matching. Any help would be great guys. PS if you live in SD this guy is much less expensive than going to all the other local parts houses that I know of... he made up my back stainless hose for less than $25.00. Rich

Reply to
Richard Harris

L.W.(ßill)

You must be at Industrial liquidators. Go down the street to ORW, get the right hose,or one from the dealer, whatever length. Show it to the guys at ID and then return it.

Reply to
Paul Calman

Reply to
Jerry McG

you're right, I just didn't want to sound like I was plugging for them. I thought of getting a hose that way. I'll try it. Maybe NAPA over by LaMesa RV will have it.

Reply to
Richard Harris

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I also have a 2.5" lift on my '81 CJ. My brake lines are stainless steel braid. I went to a speed shop in Temecula and bought replacement parts. They had an assortment of fittings that thread onto the calipers and brake pipes that make the fittings for the flexable brake lines.

I made my lines about 18" long and use a throttle return spring to pull them up and away from crap that would like to rip them off. As the axle drops, you need a service loop, but when the axle returns to its normal position, or gets stuffed into the wheel wells, you need the spring to reel the brake lines in and pull them out of the way. Get some nylon wire bundle holders and slip one over each brake line. Connect the spring to the hole that the screw would normally occupy, and connect the other end of the spring into a hole on the inside of the fender. Try to pick a line for the spring that is nearly parallel to the line that the shocks travel. The spring does not need to be perfectly parallel, but you don't want it to run an any sort of extreme angle to the shocks. There are plenty of holes in the fender to use, or you can make a new one.

Reply to
CRWLR