Brake shoes

HI,

I have a 1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo. The brake shoes on the back are cracked down the middle. Also, on each side the braking surface on one shoe is very rough.

Any idea what would cause this?

Thanks Hal

Reply to
word9smith

Heat.

Driving with the rear shoes adjusted too tight, driving with the Emergency brake on, or, the rear brakes sticking.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Add to that a drop of gear lube from a leaking axle seal.

Saludos,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Yep, that too!

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Reply to
RoyJ

Well that is self-repairing. Once you run out of brake fluid, the pressure on the shoe is released. ;^)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
RoyJ

Humidity gets to all my brake shoes usually before I have a chance to change them.

They swell and then wear weird and crack as they get used and hot.

After my CJ sat for a year being rebuilt, I had to replace all the pads and shoes. They had less than a year's wear on them...

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > HI,
Reply to
Mike Romain