Puzzling Brake Behaviour

Hi guys

I own a 69 type 1 with drums all round and the dual circuit type cylinder. When I let the car sit overnight and go to drive it in the morning, the strangest thing occurs only the very first time i try applying the brakes: they react violently as if they had been boosted and the left wheel locks instantly resulting in the steering wheel turning left and the car skiding. If though I pump the pedal a few times before driving off this event does not occur. This has puzzled me for a while since it only occurs if the car has been siting for like 5-6 hours or more and the brakes have had a chance to rest. And yes, I've had them adjusted and it still happens. My MOT test showed that the brakes are ok and the drums are nice and even (had them machined). Could it be that one drum is machined more than the other? even so, if you adjust them properly this shouldnt be a problem right?

Thanks, BugThug

Reply to
BugThug

It's a bad case of "rising damp".

Seriously, the drum surface will rust overnight if there is a hint of damp in the air. The rust makes for more friction "boost" until it gets worn away.

Why only one side? I've no idea. Anyway, that's my theory...

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Different makes of drums? = different steel qualities ??

J.

Reply to
BergRace

I vote for air in the system, possibly binding wheel cylinder somewhere.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

My bug is parked on the driveway near the automatic watering system. One drum always gets wet and sometimes stick... Maybe is something like that..

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

Water may also be getting on the shoe, making it grab until it the surface dries.

Also, do you set your parking brake when you park it? That could affect the positioning of the rear shoes, which could also make the car pull upon initial braking.

Reply to
Alan Nelson

everybody's going for the rusty drum theory I guess,..................I'm not necessarily in tune with that, but I'll buy it as a possibility.

It's only the left side front wheel. That is really weird , but I am gong to slide off the Rust wagon and over to a bad flex line or a leak in the wheel cylinder...........wouldn't have to be a great big leak to cause some symptoms like described. The hose issue is not as likely, but a possibilty too, but I am still trying to logic that one in or out. It usually would be like that all the time, or just keep the wheel locked up completely till pressure is relieved by bleeding or hose removal/replacement.

Just a different point of view.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Brakes are not adjusted equally side to side and maybe back to front. I would say that the left front is to tight.

-- the Grokdoc Tom Malmevik all that groks is god

67 Baja "marti"
Reply to
Thomas Malmevik