Broke Yoke

Ok.. I just got the Jeep off the jack stands and on the ground.. We were pressing in the u-joint for the yoke for the Ford 8.8 yoke to flange adapter when the groove for the u-joint c-clip broke off... Check out these pics...

Ben

95 YJ 2.5L
Reply to
Ben

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

That is a really common failure after a u-joint vibrates itself to death. I would be checking the other half very carefully because I usually see the little tab there bent. It is cast and bending it back will last maybe 2 or 3 miles......

Mike

Ben wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

LOL! I missed the 'pressing' part....

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

It was brand new and was never on the road... It is the MORE Ford 8.8 Yoke to flange... It was brand new.. I was putting in the u-joint to install my drive shaft... It was so strange..

Ben

95 YJ 2.5L
Reply to
Ben

Then that is why I prefer to tap them in with a hammer. If a needle gets down under you feel it before it blows out the end clip.

Mike

Ben wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Well.. I was using that big C-clamp thing from Harbor Freight.. Not a hydraulic press... But I got off the phone with OK4WD where I got the Ford

8.8.. They said it should have never happened.. They said it was more like bad casting.. They are shipping a brand new on this monday... And I will ship the old one back to them... If all goes well.. I will be wheeling again next weekend...

Ben

95 YJ 2.5L
Reply to
Ben

I would be checking the u-joint very carefully to be sure one end isn't missing a needle bearing or if you find crumbs of one it needs replacing.

Mike

Ben wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Yeah... Good idea... I will just take it back to the parts store and get a another one...

Ben

95 YJ 2.5L
Reply to
Ben