CAT Changed on Wrangler

Well..I am posting this because of alot of people have asked about changing the CAT out on their Jeep. I changed my CAT today.. It was easy.. And alot cheaper then going to Midas.. Took a buddy and myself about two hours to change out.. Taking the old one off was what took the largest amount of time.. Some genius at the plant must had a bad day... They torqued the front clamp down so hard it caused a crease.. It kept the CAT from sliding off.. We had to make a cut perpendicular to the pipe and then used an air chisel to get it off.. I got the universal CAT from Advance Auto.. $55 and we needed a 9 inch pipe section which we got from a exhaust shop for free and they even flanged it for me :) I wish I would have taken pics of it but I forgot my camera at the house...

One piece of advice.. Brace the tranny before taking the skid plate off.. The skid plate is part of the tranny mount..

I have one question though.. When did they change from using platinum pellets to this micro honeycomb stuff.. I cut mine open for the fun of it and that is what it had in it...

I hope this helps anyone one that is reading this...

Ben

95 YJ 2.5L
Reply to
Ben

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I gave up doing exhausts years ago because as you found out, a properly installed system has the clamps on tight enough to crease the pipes together so they can never just fall off.

It is just plain too much trouble to cut and hand pound the pipes apart as I don't have air tools.

I have also seen a mess of pipes lately that a sawsall reciprocating saw wouldn't even cut.

I do not recommend anyone do their own and I don't consider having to cut and chisel something off as 'easy'.

How did you address the left over cut in the pipe? Oh, that is what the extension you had to go back for was for right?

If you left the cut there, then you have a potentially deadly leak. Carbon Monoxide is nasty stuff.

Also up here in Canada, the warranty is void on the muffler or cat if you install it yourself. I prefer to pay and get a 'lifetime warranty' on mine.

Mike

Ben wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Well.. It was easier then doing drum brakes..imho.. Once we got the old CAT off, it took us about 15 minutes to put the new one on.. It took us more time to go to the Muffler shop to get the 9in extention then it did to get the CAT off... We used an impact wrench to tighten the clamps down.. So I am not too worried about leaks..

Ben

95 YJ 2.5
Reply to
Ben

When doing my frame repair on my CJ I had to cut off the last 2' of tale pipe, took it in to a muffler shop with the peice I cut off, went back 2 hours later, he said we didn't use the peice you brought in. They put a new peice in, 2 clamps, new hanger, total was $31.00 Canadian, when I pulled out cash he said just make it 20 bucks cash. Even for the $31.00 it's not worth doing it myself.

Reply to
Greg

You just have to watch out for leaks from the cut. If the cut is still exposed it allows a jet of exhaust to blow out at the floorboards. This can get inside the vehicle.

Mike

Ben wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

We only cut the CAT not the pipe coming from the head.. That pipe is intact... We cut the CAT just enough to use the air chisle to open it up so we could slide it off...

Reply to
Ben