91 XJ ABS conversion...

Bill Hughes (I think) posted a link (must be Bill!) a couple of years ago to a site that detailed converting a Bendix ABS system to standard brakes. I've got my pump running about every 30 seconds and I'm trying to make up my mind whether to fix it or convert.

If I'm going to convert, I know I will need a trip to the bone yards!

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Reply to
DaveW

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Thanks a million Bill! Guess I'll be hitting the junkyards right quick!

Best Regards,

David

Reply to
DaveW

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Recall 96V260000: ABS Hydraulic Pump Failure

Vehicles equipped with antilock brake system (ABS).

Antilock brake system (ABS) hydraulic control unit can experience excessive brake actuator piston seal wear which could cause pump-motor deterioration.

If this occurs, the ABS function would be lose and reduced power assist would be experienced during vehicle braking. The instrument panel warning lights will signal system impairment and the base manual brakes will remain functional.

Dealers will test the vehicle's ABS and repair as necessary. The warranty on all ABS components will be extended to 10 years or 100,000 miles (except for the brake actuator piston assembly and the pump-motor assembly which will have a lifetime coverage). Owners will be reimbursed for previous ABS component repair costs.

Owner Notification began April 24, 1997. Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Chrysler at

1-800-853-1403. Also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at 1-800-424-9393.

Also:

Dealer Service Instructions

IMPORTANT

Safety Recall # 702 -- ABS Actuator and Pump/Motor Assemblies

^ This service requirement applies only to 1989 through 1991 Jeep Cherokee and Wagoneer (XJ) vehicles equipped with a Bendix-9 Anti-lock Brake System.

^ Owners of involved vehicles will be instructed to make an appointment with their dealer only if specific symptoms occur. (See owner letter for details.)

^ A small number of the involved vehicles may experience ABS hydraulic control unit actuator piston seal wear and/or hydraulic pump/motor deterioration. To correct this condition, the ABS system must be tested and the actuator and/or pump/motor replaced if necessary.

^ This recall will be launched in stages. Owners of 1991 model year vehicles will be notified initially. Owners of 1989 and 1990 model year vehicles will be notified about one month later.

^ Effective immediately all actuator and pump/motor assembly replacements on involved vehicles are to be performed according to this Recall Notification. The Labor Operation Numbers for these components listed in Warranty Bulletin D-96-37 are being canceled.

10 Year/100,000 Mile Bendix-10 ABS Component Warranty:

^ Vehicles involved in this recall also have a 10 year or 100,000 mile warranty on Bendix-9 ABS components (the actuator and pump/motor have lifetime coverage). If any conditions covered by the ABS warranty are found, now or in the future, dealers are to correct these conditions free of charge. Refer to Warranty Bulletin D-96-37 issued December, 1996 for specific details of coverage. Parts for any of the covered components should be ordered through the normal means.

Alternate Transportation:

^ Dealers who are servicing a vehicle that requires actuator and/or pump/motor replacement should attempt to minimize customer inconvenience. Contact your zone office for further instructions on alternate transportation authorization if necessary.

Reply to
Dana Rohleder