Budget EFI

I am looking for a EFI on a budget. There is two that I am looking, Howell and the Holly. Both are around $1000. Anyone out there have toughts on these? Is there a system that I missed in the same price range? I have a

85 CJ-7 and looking for better performance on and offroad. Thanks for any help.

Kelly

Reply to
kelly

What motor?

Reply to
RocknTJ

I would actually like to compare an FI system 'on and off' road.

I believe the 'only' power boost the FI gives over a Carter BBD is to get rid of that stupid failed attempt at a Ford emissions computer.

That gives an instant 25% seat of the pants boost.

With that computer dead, I get a sweet 19 US mpg running at 75 mph highway fully loaded. I can light up my mud tires in a blink off a start, it will pull fast and strong up over 50 mph at 4500 rpm in second gear. 4th will bury the speedo easily and I run sand pit walls at 50 to

60 deg angles topping them at 400 rpm and it has 'never' stalled on one. If I get too steep, it just digs my muds in, it will not stall.

Mike

kelly wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain
258 I6

Kelly

Reply to
kelly

If you are talking about the Nutter Bypass. I have done that. However, I am not seeing the MPG that you say that you are getting. I do have better power and it doesn't cut out at around 3000rpms, which is nice. Maybe I am not tuning it correct. Any thoughts on that as well?

Kelly

Reply to
kelly

I have to watch the rpm I run at to get the good mileage. I am turning

2300 at 65 mph and about 2500 up into the low 70's.

If I use 5th gear, I drop down to 17- 1800 rpm and my mileage drops radically (about a 5 mpg dive). That is too low and the engine lugs or you need too much gas pedal for small adjustments due to wind or hills.

I have an Accel SuperCoil with my plugs gapped 5 over and burn 91 octane 'gas' with a ported timing advance set at 9 deg BTDC at 700 rpm. I have a straight exhaust pipe with a Dynomax Superturbo muffler with no Cat converter.

I am turning 33x9.5 BFG muds with 3.31 gears and my spedo is calibrated right on so my mileage is accurate.

If I use regular or any alcohol mix, my mileage drops a lot, at least a

5 mpg drop and the performance suffers.

Mike

kelly wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

If you are mechanically inclined and want to try it, there is a "homemade" EFI system called Megasquirt. This is not a bolt-on system, which most people like, but it is easily reprogrammed when you modify your engine. The info is here:

We are planning to do this on my friend's CJ this summer.

Chris

I picked up a Holley on eBay for $400. They usually have a system or two on there. I have a friend that picked up a complete Holley at a swap meet for $200.

After I figured out the wiring it seems to run great. I haven't had it on the highway or trail yet and I have a 360.

Good luck,

--James

Reply to
RocknTJ

Very Cool. Please let me know how this goes.

Kelly

Reply to
kelly