Howell or Mopar EFI

Can't get the 84 CJ to pass emmissions testing. Replaced the carter carb with the weber and its close but still fails. think I'm going for EFI. Torn between Howell and Mopar. Howell is much cheaper, but is it any good? If anyone has put one on I would like to hear about it.

Dan Ferrell

84 CJ7
Reply to
Dan Ferrell

Did you disable the computer when you swapped carbs?

If not, it has gone into 'limp home' mode and has clamped down on the timing and it is very unlikely you can pass emissions this way.

See:

Mike

Dan Ferrell wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

What are your readings?

Mike

Dan Ferrell wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Dan, I have an 85 CJ7 with the 258. The friend I bought it from installed the Howell Inj & I LOVE IT ! It works great and solves many of the problems associated with the carbs. Not only has the performance & efficiency increased but it runs a lot cleaner as well (I'm in California and we have pretty strict smog requirements).

In fact, I just got back from a trip to the Rubicon this weekend. I live in the Bay Area so there is a 5,000 to 6,000 foot difference in elevation between my home and the Rubicon. When I had a carb, I would typically have to adjust it for the diff in elevation and it would still load up. With the injection, it runs seamlessly. It does great off road. Maintains a steady idle and has a responsive throttle. I also get great mileage (for a Jeep anyway).

In terms of comparing Howell to Mopar - they're both good. I know guys that have the Mopar and love it. I think you'll be happy with either.

Hope this helps...... John

Reply to
John B. Parisi

Dan P.S. When your done with the Howell install replace the the cat. converter. Trust me on this one. the cat will plugged or burned from all the excessive fuel you have been burning. I found that out the hard way.$$$ Steim

Reply to
STEIM3