Bumper-mounted trailer hitch bracket for Jeep Wrangler TJ

I know, Mike. It's just that the safety chain placement was left out of this discussion and then I started to think about it when Bill posted about chains. It does sound like he is married to this design; maybe better chain placement, heavy chains **and correspondingly heavy hooks** (I forgot that part) might mitigate things....

That is a story of yours there that made me laugh in an 'oh fine' kind of way. I can just imagine that happening. "Will you stop that already??" Interesting that your trailer tongue had an upward vector like mine did. Thinking about it further, I am now betting that just about any trailer crash will do this as the hitting vehicle will be higher than the trailer frame, pushing down the trailer rear and thus raising the tongue spear. Gotta have a system that can control this.

It is not just what you are towing, it is also covering what another person's mistake can do. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

If the OP uses safety chains he will wrap them around the bumper. I don't know how many times I have seen this type of "design". Safety chains are designed to cover operator error, in case the part that goes over the ball pops off, from not being tightened enough or from a shock load it can't stand. They are not designed to mitigate weaknesses in the actual hitch "design".

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Actually, Earle, he has two holes drilled into the horizontal part of his attachment for the hooks, fairly small holes it appears as well, for small hooks. That is what got me going on this thought lane. I also agree with your assessment of the primary purpose of the chains. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

You're right, but they're half inch holes. You could put a half inch clevis and half inch safety chains on this rig. That should be robust enough, to rip the bumper right off the vehicle!

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Nope, he has already assured us that it is not possible his thousand pound trailer could ever damage his stock bumper no matter how severe the crash.

Reply to
billy ray

Nope, he has already assured us that it is not possible his thousand pound trailer could ever damage his stock bumper no matter how severe the crash.

Reply to
billy ray

It's interesting that he is probably spending more time defending his somewhat lacking design than it would take him to design it right...

Reply to
Grumman-581

I had a similar thing happen to me. I was stopped at lights ( 4th/5th vehicle in line ) when there was a teriffic thump at my back. Got out to find trailer drawbar was bent like an inverted V and jammed on to towball. Tailgate and rear floor all mashed. I was hit by a brand new Ford Focus, 84km on the clock, which was hit by a Toyota Tarago which was hit by a Mazda ??? ( all stopped ) which was hit by a Holden Crapadore which did not stop when he should have done. Fortunately the only injury was bruising to a passenger in the Focus. The Focus was probably a write off, mashed bonnet, radiator,doors jammed etc. Not much damage to other vehicles as they all drove off. None to my Patrol, as I have a 3500kg rated Reece tow hitch fitted to it, which is fully used when I have a mini excavator and a small tractor on the car trailer. Damage repair quote & cheque for my box trailer was $486. I bought 100 x 50 box tube and a new hitch for $150 and welded on a new ( much better , stronger ) drawbar, hit the tailgate & floor with a BFH and, other than time spent on repair, am a free trailer + $36 ahead as it only cost $300 when I bought it (used).

Moral - good gear saves damage.

Alan in beautiful Golden Bay, Western Oz, South 32.25.42, East 115.45.44 GMT+8 VK6 YAB ICQ 6581610 to reply, change oz to au in address

Reply to
alan200

Definitely will? On my car? Possibly, but not definitely. Probability is something often misconstrued.

I can see reasonable scenarios that a weak hitch is *beneficial*. Strong enough for towing, but if your rig gets t-boned behind you, it breaks away without further involving the tow vehicle.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Mike Romain proclaimed:

Yeah, sometimes one can almost appreciate why there are liability lawyers that at least sometimes help educate such fools.

Reply to
Lon

Heh. I had a '66 Impala that had the rear bumper middle section pulled out just slightly from one too many U-Hell across country moves. Clown whacked the rear end of it at a stoplight and was so upset when I thanked him for pounding the bumper back into almost perfect alignment I expected him to start swinging fists. Took me several minutes to convince him I wasn't being sarcastic.

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Sad thing is, if anything ever does happen with his homemade hitch, this thread will be exhibit A.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Sadder to live in fear of liability and lawsuits. The law is on my side.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

OK, well, good luck with that, and I hope that an "I told you so" situation never comes up. Because seems to me that "I know and I don't give a shit" is worse, to a jury, than "I didn't know".

Good luck.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

So, you're saying that you are knowingly creating a situation that will spawn 'sides'. Interesting. _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 > Sadder to live in fear of liability and lawsuits. The law is on my side.

Reply to
twaldron

Thanks. I don't expect it will. Feel free to gloat if it does. No doubt you'll be there, subpoenaed as a plaintiff witness.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III