Trailer hitch

Hi I have a 2005 XC70 and want to put a trailer hitch on it. Any particular one better or worse than any other? Thanks,

Reply to
BobT

I know of two.

The Volvo one is very expensive and my dealer recommended the other one.

The other one is the U-Haul one. It is custom made and very reasonable. I got the U-Haul one and don't think it could be any better.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

Reply to
Bogey0

What type of trailer are you planning on towing wiht your XC70? How much does the trailer and its load weigh?

Reply to
no

I went to U-Haul and got a Class II hitch (300# tongue load and 3,500# gross weight) with a 1.25" receiver. It is great. It is U-Haul model

36297 and costs $115. It only took U-Haul 30 minutes to install so it was a good fit. It is black and the receiver is under the bumper and forward so it isn't very noticeable.

The U-Haul receiver is $19.95 and curves up so that it is positioned behind the bumper.

For wiring, I got a wiring kit from a trailer shop near by for $20. The kit has the black box that converts the brakes plus 2 signals to 2 signals so that it will be compatible with the standard 4 pin plugs. I wired it into the plug next to the spare tire. It doesn't blow anything out. The bulb out lamp works just fine. Then I ran it through a passage to the lower right tail light access door. It is completely out of site. When I need it, I just open the door and run it out under the tailgate door through the rubber gasket. The advantage of the kit is that it has black shrouds that cover the wires and a cap that snaps over he end that plugs into the trailer when it isn't being used.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

Reply to
BobT