busted header bolt

95 wrangler with the head bolf broken off flush. suggestions?

thanks

Get a Cobalt bit (not high speed steel) and drill center out and try a easy out. It that fails, drill hole larger and retap threads. Note, you want a Cobalt bit because not only will they cut it good (far better than steel bits), they are also harder to break by accident.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

What is it flush with? The head?

If so I have heard of folks putting a nut there and welding it in the center of the nut onto the stub if there is even just a little showing, then using that.

I have heard of and seen folks use a fire wrench (cutting torch) and blow the sucker out with that. It seems to work.

I have heard left hand drill bits can work.

Things like 'easy outs' are a failure 99% of the time I have seen, used or heard of their use.

'I' can drill out 99% of the ones I go after without damaging threads much if any. Many years of Practice from living in the rust belt helps there. :-(

I use a small bit and drill a pilot hole offset from the center of the bolt. I then use a bit that will fit from this pilot 'just' to the edge of the threads and drill. This leaves a crescent moon shape of the bolt that can be backed out with a screwdriver or hammer and center punch.

Good Luck!

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

Reply to
RoyJ

Actually they have a pretty high success rate 'if" you do it right. The trick is to drill out enough of bolt to get a good sized EZ-out to bite in it. Hollowing the bolt out weakens its gripe some on block/threaded hole. . Also cast iron expands quicker than steel does and if you heat blot up several hundred degrees in bolt area quickly (you need to drain coolant) after drill hole and before using EZ-out you can remove realy stubborn ones.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Living in the rust belt makes for some nasty ones.

I prefer to drill off center so the bolt ends up C or crescent moon shaped so it releases on one edge and can spin out.

Gotta drill it either way anyway.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

Sometimes if you fear the bolts are going to be a pill you should try to break them loose right after engine is shut off hot. Yes you do need some protection (like some leather work gloves and a long sleeve shirt) but when block is hot the bolts will come out easier due to cast iron expading more than steel.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan