fuel tank sending unit on 02 dodge

I have a 02 dodge 3/4 cummins and the fuel gage reads 1/4 tank and the tank is empty. I bought a new sending unit and lifted the bed of the truck and removed the in tank metering assembly. in looking at the metering lever it looks like the float my have been hanging up. I am trying to replace the sending unit and I can't figure out #1 how to disconnect the sending unit wires from in tank metering assemble Plug and #2 how to release the sending unit from the assembly. thank you for any help.

Reply to
quad

I have the same problem with my '01, I'd be interested in what you find out.

Mine started out actually being empty when the gauge hit empty, (no reserve at all) now it's up to 1/4 tank reading is empty like yours.

Reply to
BigIronRam

I replaced the fuel sending unit in my '99 diesel. I ran out of fuel with just over 1/8 of a tank. I think my module might be different than yours. The parts guy had a hard time finding the right sending unit for my truck. Does your fuel module look like this?

To remove the wires I had to grind a small screwdriver down to release the locking tab inside the connector. That was a huge pain in the ass. If I had to do it again I'd cut the wires and splice connectors on the module side wiring that mate with the factory connectors on the new sending unit. On my module the sending unit slides down the track and off the bottom. I don't remember how it was released from it's position but I don't think I had any difficulty with it.

Reply to
Nosey

Ken, Yes this is the same assembly. I was wondering if the plug the wire ends were in could be removed and make getting the new ends easy to R/R. If I splice the wires it may change the resistance and the gage could read incorrectly? Bob

Reply to
quad

Splicing the wires might throw the gauge off. The PCM reads a voltage signal from the sending unit instead of resistance but I suppose the end result could be the same with a poor splice. The 2001 FSM mentions removing a locking collar from the electrical connector before the wires can be released. I don't recall removing any collar from the connector on my '99. Maybe that's why it was so difficult.

Reply to
Nosey