How do you remove the lock ring on a fuel sending unit??? 92 Silverado v6.

I have cut a hole in the bed of the truck and have a very good view of the sending unit/fuel pump. I have read a lot of posts and read the Chilton Manual over and over, I cannot seem to figure out how to get the lock ring off of the sending unit to pull it out and change the fuel pump. Does anyone have a picture or anything of where to tap with the brass tap. I know it turns couterclock wise, but I am puzzled and need a little help/ Thanks

Reply to
chevy man

Look at the ring and you will find three tabs sticking up from it. These tabs will be up against the stops on the tank flange when you look at them. First use a wire brush and CLEAN the area real well. Then use some compressed air to blow all the crud away from the area of the ring. If you look at the unit you will notice it sets in a pocket that will act as a funnel for any dirt you leave behind to drop into the tank, clean that all up first. Now take your brass drift and tap around the entire ring seating to break any rust. Spray it with some rust breaker and then tap on each tab in order around the ring to break it free and remove it. Don't just beat on one tab or you will damage the ring. Once you get the ring off pull the pump and remove the seal, then clean the seal area. Reverse to install the new pump. Being it's a 92 use a new lock ring since yours is probably a bit rusty. Oh and once it's installed and you test it for operation, take a glob of grease and fill in the area around the ring. That keeps water and crud out and will make it easier if you ever need to do it again.

Reply to
Steve W.