California sues Ford, General Motors, Chrysler, Toyota, Honda and Nissan for emissions

I don't think Bill Lockyear needs to be up for election to make an ass out of himself. Think he already did the sue gun makers thing. We are also gonna raise the cigarette tax again so smokers will be forced to move to cheaper locally manufactured drugs such as meth and crack. And pretty sure we'll be de-balling all pit bulls in the state and possibly even Bill H.

Matt Macchiarolo proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Coasty proclaimed:

Sadly, Kalifornia is NOT falling into the ocean as is popularly believed. It is really rising up out of the ocean, with a drop in the central valley similar. Similar to the current Sierras and Great Basin to the east of them. Kalifornia's new big mountain range will run thru Santa Cruz area and Sackatomato may be below sea level and the new west coast will be somewhere out west of Catalina and the Farallons. Maybe the volcanos that will result can be sued for all their sulfur emissions.

Reply to
Lon

I don't remember him running for guv, but then I try not to encourage them by voting for them. As far as what Kalifornia can do to themselves if they don't like the standards, you used the wrong verb, but it would be politically incorrect on a family group for me to post the correct one. "find" themselves, yeah, thats it.

Jeffrey DeWitt proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Well yes, but it comes down to the reasonableness of society. If you trip on the pavement, is that the councils fault for providing a bumpy pavement or your fault for not looking where you were going ? If the payout is a couple of quid, it doesn't really matter either way. The problem is that if the payout is in the millions people feel compelled to try to insure against everything. Kids don't get school trips so often now - the schools are so scared of a kid injuring themselves on a hillwalking trip that the trip is cancelled. And so on and so forth..

Dave "His fault if he falls over" Milne.

Reply to
Dave Milne

Kalifornians are just following the human tendency of hating the very things that are pretty much absolutely necessary to survive. With a political climate that takes 25 years and three supreme court decisions to extend a light rail line one half of a mile, you can imagine the virtually total lack of public transit in the state except for very small local pockets of such. Then you add the extremely large size of the state plus the really oddball zoning ordnances designed to keep folks from living within bike or walk distances of their employment or supermarkets and you are pretty much screwed without a vehicle in all but a very very very few urban centers.

Then you add in the movie magic so realistic that folks tend to believe that you get electricity by just turning on a switch [with no power plants] and gas by just clicking a lever at the station [with no oil wells, no refineries] and you pretty much have defined the typical Kalifornian treehugger that drives their Hummer to an anti-SUV protest rally.

Dave Milne proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

They do have liquid assets but between the environmental terrorists and misguided yupettes the market for milk in Kalifornia is declining.

Reply to
billy ray

I expect that will pale in comparison to the comedy going on up in San Jose as it plays out and into the pockets of the lawyers.

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

That is one answer. To me it is blaming other folks. I blame the folks who vote for the pliticians who pull these stunts since they know it will get them elected or re-elected.

Jeffrey DeWitt proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Not to mention reformed polluter and tree hugger Arianna Huffington if she decides her Lincoln Navigator wasn't such a bad idea after all.

Al J proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Stop being politically correct. They aren't 'greenies', they are environmental terrorists.

They (the leadership) don't give a tinkers *%&% about the condition of the environment as their avowed goal is the destruction of the American way of life. Their every action confirms this.

What I find alarming is that people buy into their propaganda and support the financially, spiritually, and with their votes.

Reply to
billy ray

sam owens proclaimed:

I've lived in northern and southern california and in a past employer had as a customer the good folks who monitor air quality around a few urban areas. Yes, there is a lot of pollution around the freeways, but the real gross polluters are fixed installations that buy off "pollution credits" rather than clean up their acts. And are very good at getting the uninformed to believe that it is really automobiles causing all the troubles.

Reply to
Lon

My guess would be one of those parties over at the frat houses in Berkeley where they recently had a few folks fail to realize that you can overdose on the "special" brownies.

billy ray proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Jason Backshall proclaimed:

You didn't happen to notice if the "people of california" would ever get a dime of any settlement? Hah!!!

Haven't been watching that one, the one involving the soap opera of what happens to company executive teams who *ever* piss off anyone bearing the family name of the business is so much more interesting as it plays out. Sadly, more good folks will probably lose their jobs and the executives will get golden parachutes.

Reply to
Lon

Dave Milne proclaimed:

You folks have class action lawsuits? Some lawyer can sue someone on your behalf and unless you explicitly refuse to be a party, they get away with it and a fat legal fee and you get a free coupon for incredibly tiny discounts on Microsoft products you wouldn't even think about buying.

Reply to
Lon

Nope AlGore, Kerry, Edwards, Dean, Teddy, and Hilary say only people... ahhh Americans.... well... non Demoncrats are responsible for all the pollution that has ever existed and every climactic change that has ever occurred.

Al Sharpton says it was all the doing of the 'white man' and the 'Blue eyed devils.'

I am unsure why they is reluctant to give the exact name of the person that causes the Ice Ages on a regular basis or just exactly who it was that hunted down (with his Jeep) and killed (with a legally registered and licensed handgun) the last of the dinosaurs 65 million years ago.

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
billy ray

No, I don't think we do. Even better we have this revolutionary system where if you fail , you are responsible for paying both your own legal costs and the party you were suing. This is an incredibly good way of stopping frivolous lawsuits as you can be rather out of pocket if don't succeed.

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne

Lon, I didn't what to use the first word that came to mind out of respect for you folks and the fact that this is a family group, the word that I did use fit the circumstances.

As to what Mr. Lockyear can really do... well how about a nice long vacation in the mountains of Pakistan or Afghanistan and he can tell the Islamofascists that they shouldn't be playing with assault weapons, I'm sure they will give him a very warm reception.

The only thing PC about me runs Windows.

Jeff DeWitt

L> I don't remember him running for guv, but then I try not to encourage

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

Excellent system, one which we ought to adopt right away.

Jeff DeWitt

Dave Milne wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

We have that rule in Colorado, but you have to prove that your opponent filed a frivolous claim or defense in order to invoke it. In practice most litigants will offer to settle once you demonstrate to them, that they are unlikely to win. And when you get to that point, then you are expected to offer them a chance to back out. There are rules like this at the Federal level too, but most lawyers and even pro se litigants know when to give up a losing case before having to pay penalties. Judges tend to take a dim view of overly aggressive plaintiffs and defendants too.

The trouble with tort reform is that there is always someone with a legitimate beef, and you can't prevent that person from complaining, if you want to maintain some semblance of human rights in your system. The bad side to this is that if you want to harass people with frivolous claims, then there is little that can be done in a fair system to stop you.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton