Can any one help me with what to look for on an old Jeep Cherokee ???

We have an old Cherokee that is nearing the end of it's life. We liked it so much we want another but haven't got much to spend about $5000 so I was wondering what is the best year(s) to look out for and any problems I should be aware of? Thanks in advance

Harry

Reply to
harry palmer

The Fuzz

They still used D35's with 27 splines in post 96' models.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-Ltd

Depends on your needs and preferences.

91-95 4.0 HO engine 195 hp 96-01 4.0 HO 225 hp 91+ open style cooling system 92+ non-disconnect axles 89-95 ABS equipped have 297 u-joints 95+ all have 297 u-joints ABS only on D35 axles Drivers side airbags 95+ Pass. side airbag 97+ 97+ prone to driveline vibration when lifting 00+ low pinion on the D30

Off-road and street? I'd opt for 92-94 4.0, AW4, NP242, ABS (disconnect them if you like). Everybody rags on the D35 axle but the shafts are slightly larger than the 8.25 (1.18 vs 1.17). The 8.25 didn't getter the larger shafts until 97. The weak link vs the early 8.25 was smaller ring gear and axle tubes.

All street use? '97+ the difference is night and day... better ride, quieter, more power, smoother lines but may not be in your budget. The

95-96's provided better safety features with the addition of 3rd brake light (94+), drivers side air bag, side impact beams, strengthened roof etc. This may be a good value if you're looking for a daily driver.

Problems? floor pan rust, oil leaks, warped front rotors, leaking roof rack (headliner sagging).

HTH,

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-Ltd

I have heard that the V6 engine (used in 1989 and earlier models, I believe,) is pretty junky and you want to stick to the models with the I-6 if possible.

Reply to
lambeth65

The 4.2L engine used in earlier Jeeps was an inline six, not a V6. And the '89 Cherokee had the very good fuel injected 4.0L inline six as well, just like the present day Jeeps do :)

Jerry

snipped-for-privacy@earthl> I have heard that the V6 engine (used in 1989 and earlier models, I

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

I think he was referring to the crappy 2.6 ? 2.8? engine.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

It was the GM 2.8L v6. My 88 XJ had the 4.0 and I believe it (the 4.0) was used from 87 on.

HTH John

Reply to
Jp Davis

Let's not forget that the 1984 thru 1986 XJ used a GM 2.8 liter V-6. It was replaced by the 4.0 I-6 in the 1987 model year.

Dick

Reply to
Dick

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Thanks to all of you that took the time to help us out. Lots of good hard information and friendly debate this is a great newsgroup.

Harry

Reply to
harry palmer