Looking for Jeep Mechanic to fix up / restore an old Jeep J3000 4x4

I live in LA currently but will be moving to South Central Montana in the next few weeks. I've got a friend here in LA who has a Jeep J3000

4x4 (not sure what year it is, looks like mid-late 60's but not sure) with a 427 engine in it.

It's been sitting in his backyard for years gathering dust and I've been toying with the idea of spending the money with a qualified and interested mechanic to completely resore this vehicle so I can eventually drive it back up to Montana to be my primary vehicle during the the winter months and use for fly fishing and camping activities.

Given that I know nothing about these types of vehicles, I have two questions:

1) Is this plan feasible with a vehicle this old that has not been used for quite some time?

2) If so, can any of you folks recommend a qualifed jeep mechanic who'd be interested in doing something like this.

I've got somewhat of a timing issue. I'm planning to leave for Montana in early August, but would like to find a qualifed mechanic to look at the vehicle, determine it's worthiness for this kind of restoration. Then I'd like to leave the vehichle with the mechanic to fix up to be ready by mid - November.

Can anyone point me to the appropriate knowledgeble mechanic familiar with this type of vehicle??

Any help or referrals you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
nickbalm

Anything is possible; how much money do you have? I wouldn't recommend a project like this unless you are going to be personally available to supervise and make decisions. Jeep manufacturing has been through several owners since this vehicle was made, none of whom have been particularly interested in preserving anything but the Jeep name. Parts availability is problematical, unless you find a mechanic with a yard full of parts vehicles and all the right connections. Do you want a given part made at a machine shop, or do you want someone to spend a couple days locating it by phone? You never know until you make the decision, which is the more expensive option.

For the amount of money it would take to make this a reliable primary vehicle, you could buy a brand new three quarter ton four wheel drive pickup, maybe with a diesel engine. All vehicle systems, such as brakes, electrical, fuel, engine, transmission and so on, will need a thorough going over, and that is a lot of labor especially if you are paying for it.

If Louisiana is anything like Massachusetts where I used to live, it rains rust there too.

Saludos cordiales,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I think you should pass. 427s are extremely temperamental, they'll load up just waiting through a stop light. Now where is it? ;-) God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Are you sure about the 427??? They had a AMC "Vigilante" 327 that they used from 1965 till about 1968. (it is NOT a chevy 327) It used a not standard bolt pattern so a newer 304's, 360's and 401 will not bolt in as far as I know. A AMC 290, 343 or 390 might though because they were built before AMC standardised bellhousing for newer engines. If it really is a 427, no telling what drive train combo you have.

Nice thing about a Jeep truck is that from 60's till the end of the run in 89 very little changed on them (only grills, trim and drive trains) so a 60's model is not harder to work on really to restore than a 80's model. I have a 79 J20 that I have owned for 22 years now and they are simple sturdy no nonsense vehicals that were born as

4x4's unlike other Detriot 4x4 trucks which were then and still are now basically converted 2wd models. If you can a old model like that that can be restored they are kinda prices less because there is not many left today and you will have something neat when done that will garner attention even in pure stock form. My 79 pushed snow for many year until I retired it a few years ago to one day restore and it still runs. Those things were VERY well built but kind short on creature comforts but would make a first rate hunting and fishing vehical that would be right at home in Montana.

In my younger days I would have but not today

The first thing you want to look at is the basic frame on it which you can do yourself. If it is solid and rust free the rest is doable. If it is stock it will have either a T90 speed manual or a T98 4 speed. The T98 is a strong tranny and well built and even the 3 speed T90 is a stout unit. The transfer case should be a Dana 20 with is a proven unit and you can still get parts for today and is still a viable unit for those building custom setups. The axles should be Dana's front a rear and it should have the old closed knuckle D44 up front. This is a real 4x4 abd jeep did not use any weak parts in drive train until 1980 when they started to lighten some things up. Those old P/U are tuff as nails and if you take the time and money to restore it will likely outlast you up there. There is nothing on that truck that is a bear to work on or repair or that is trouble prone. It was a good no nonsense truck and you may have a real find if it is still stock and in need of some TLC.

I know old Jeep trucks really well so I can answer questions about drive train, axles, trannies and such. I plan to redo my 79 stock for simular use one day. I have no plans to ever sell it. Rigth now it is in barn awaiting restoration one day.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Yes but unlke MA they do not have snow or salt in winter and it is the road salt (or sea salt on ocean coast) that eats them up, not rain.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan
1968 rules don't apply in 2007, STUPID.

Reply to
24Bit®

You, that things a 4.6 is a bib block!!!!!!!! I bet you couldn't tell us how many degrees duration and overlap a three quart cam has, clue it's about the same as a factory 427" God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

And you have not clue what a big block is, nor a three quarter cam! And obviously not common sense. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Oh your trying to fix your f*ck-up?

Reply to
24Bit®

It's what must have fallen on your head and given you the IQ of a retarded chipmunk.

Reply to
L.W. Bill Gay Cocksucker Hughes