Can you adjust the timing on a 95 2.5l 4-banger?

Anyone know if I can advance the timing on this engine?

Reply to
D McMorris

what about the turbo city adjustable timing sensor they sell to go along with their adjustable map sensor?

Daren

Reply to
D McMorris

I suppose that you mean this

Take a look at the length of the oval mounting hole on the new timing sensor. How many degrees do you think that is?

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

It's "supposed" to be around 3-4 degrees. Is that what you really achieve? Don't know, have not talked to anyone who has tried it....thus the reason for my post.

Daren

message

Reply to
D McMorris

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Thanks Bill.

Do you mean to advance the timing and then pull the wire and put a light on it? By the way, over the years I've heard allot of talk about the advantage of advancing the timing a few degrees. What do this buy you? Sorry for the dumb question.....

Daren

Reply to
D McMorris

Bill, The distributor on the 2.5l is keyed, so turbo city sells the "adjustable timing sensor". By re-positioning the sensor it advances the timing by 3-4 degrees...according to the manufacture. By advancing the timing by 4 degrees, what does this do for you?

Daren

Reply to
D McMorris

you see guys, this is where we differ. I was told that the adjustable MAP sensor was also a waste...but gone is the "flat spot" in the RPM band around

1500. Also I want to correct the statement I made about this sensor. It's actually an adjustable crank position sensor. Now I'll admit that I do not have the infinite knowledge that you guys do, but I can tell you that there is a seat of the pants difference with the MAP sensor. So if the adjustable crank position sensor will make a difference, then I'll give it a shot. No one makes a computer chip for the 95 2.5l, however by adding these two sensors you are getting some of the same results. My reason for this post was just to see if someone out there had tired it. This news group has always been an excellent source of information. When I did my Dana 44 swap, many questions were answered here.

Daren

Reply to
D McMorris

Because at this point "the possibilities" involve spending ever increasing amounts of money on that poor little 2.5 liter four banger for smaller and smaller increases in power. Put the damn adjustable crank position sensor in it, switch to premium fuel, and stop wasting my incredibly valuable time. That is the last cheap upgrade that is available. If you really want to be honest with yourself, put it on a chassis dynamometer and find out what is really going on with it.

Reality check: You have a 2.5 liter push rod engine that red lines at 5,000 rpm, pushing around a three thousand pound plus glorified mail delivery wagon. If you have a genuine need for speed like some of the people in this newsgroup, this engine and vehicle are not going to satisfy it.

You might try to install another distributor and a conventional coil, bypassing the computer controlled spark advance. Then you could have all the spark advance you want. There are some more hints in the Jeep performance book from Mopar. You are trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear though.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Earle,

See it nonsense like that is uncalled for...completely uncalled for. Want me to quite wasting you time, then you have the right not to read my posts. Now I could get ugly here and tell you that you are acting like an ass, but I don't think this news group is the place for that. Just because you think that you walk on water, does not mean you do.

Daren

Reply to
D McMorris

Get the Mopar Jeep performance book and find out what is required to convert the 2.5 liter Jeep into a race car. Sure it can be done, but is it worth it? A stock 4.0 will still blow your doors off. Now if you really want to advance the spark, get a Bosch 090 distributor, which is good for 8,000 rpm, and talk to your machine shop about adapting it to the 2.5 liter Jeep engine.

I have been hanging out in newsgroups since 1989. You don't always get the answer you are fishing for...

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Now Bill, nonsense like this is completely uncalled for. I could call you an ass. Just because you think you walk on water...lol!

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

This is a kind of human contact, but not the only one I have. Good to see you have given up defending the 2.5 liter engine. I have one in my Jeep, and it is what it is. I like to think that guys like Bill with their 400 inch engines compensate for some other lack...

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

This link is a trail I designed in Southern WV with the help of a couple of friends. The unfortunate part of it, my name is mentions as the trail guide but no pics of the black jeep in the woods on a overcast day. Such goes my luck, but Wendy Frazier (photographer) with Peterson's did ride with me all day.

Daren

Reply to
D McMorris

I think maybe you have seen them already. That Jeep is just too shiny for a '95.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Hmm, too fuzzy and too much windshield glare to positively identify it as you. Got anything else?

Hey, you have had this machine for some time then. When are you going to give up on that four banger and install at least a V6?

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton