Cargo lights stay on!

Hi!..

Jeep Cherokee 4Ltre light..1994..

Car was in for some work, and when I collected it the battery was flat. Dead. Got a new one in now, and the problem appears to be the two roof lights behind the front seats stay on all the time. When the car is parked. Now - I seem to recall having this problem before, but it might hvae been that headlamp switch wasn't turned off properly.. can't remember. Tried the headlight switch in all positions - no luck. So - I have to disconnect the battery when I park up.

Now.. ideally, I'd like to solve the problem asap - but until then, I'd light to remove the light bulbs - how do I do that? It looks like the entire roof unit has to come off - is that correct?

No point in taking it back to the garage -- they don't know.

As ever.. all input appreciated.

Regards

Nichollette

Reply to
nichollette

Nich,

You insert a small thin blade into the access slots and carefully pry the lens from the lamp.

The lamps are controlled by the headlight dimmer switch, door switches, and by a switch built into the lamp in some cases.

Before you start taking anything apart check to see that you haven't inadvertently turned them on with the dash switch and then that the lamp switched haven't been activated. I once had a problem where the driver's side rear lamp stayed on and it was because I had pressed on the lamp switch.

Details to follow..

If all fails have a local magician remove the bulb without touching the lamp.

How did the hitch and wiring go?

Reply to
billy ray

On my wife's former '95 JGC, those lights could be turned on / off by pressing the lens, or the frame around the lens, I don't remember which.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Agreed, Spdloader, but that just isn't happening. Press and they go off - take your thumb off and they come back on again.

Tks

Reply to
nichollette

Even with the doors closed?........and, is there an interior light timer on the vehicle?

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

It could be the switch in the lamp is broken.

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

isn't there a cargo light switch in the roof near the rear hatch? it is probably ON. ;-)

Reply to
One out of many daves