caster camber

Hello all, is the a caster/camber adjustment on the front wheels for a 2007 commander? My driver`s side front tire has inner tread wear and the toe adj. is perfect. The passenger tire is wearing correctly. Any info appreciated, Thanks

Reply to
glen

Hey Glen, Have someone get inside the vehicle, ignition key ON but not running, have them rock the steering wheel back and forth just slightly and look at the ball joints on all of your steering components. If anything is moving up and down it's bad. Look for slack (delayed response)

Here's a good place to look where people might know a bit more about your specific vehicle:

Let us know what you figure out. I suspect it's not alignment, but a bad joint. You might want to post all of the specs on your rig. In addition to Year, make, model add engine, 4WD or not and so on.

K.

Reply to
Kate

Got me, never worked on one.. How does it track? Caster won't cause wear like that and I believe camber is fixed.

Caster affects tracking and steering resistance. Positive caster tends to make the wheel straighten out as you drive.

My suggestion is to swap tires and watch the tire wear. Also watch your tire pressure. Take the Jeep to a flat large parking lot and rub a chalk line across the tread. Drive straight forward for a few hundred feet then stop. Examine the chalk. Worn more on the edges = underinflation, more on the center = overinflation.

Hmm.. Does the commander use struts? If so, that could be causing the problem. Although usually a worn or weak strut causes cupping.

Reply to
DougW