Possible to adjust Camber, Caster on Scion XA

I have been told by Sears that it is only possible to adjust toe on an XA front end. This sounds strange to me. Who would build a car like that? That's just inane. Is this just diarrhea of the mouth being spewed on me by Sears auto monkeys, or is there really no way to fix caster and camber issues without replacing components?

Thanks, Jonathan

Reply to
John Z. Delorean

I recently ran into the very same thing on my BMW. I belong to the BMW newsgroup, and somebody asked the same question you just asked. I replied that the service technician was full of crap, then went home and read my service manual, only to find that there is no caster or camber adjustment. These settings are fixed by the location of the suspension mounting points. Your Scion is apparently the same.

Unless you bounce your car off of the curbs, the caster and camber should never change.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Well, I hit a fairly sizeable pothole...and now the car leans into left turns more than it should. Maybe I'm overly sensitive, or just plain crazy, but that's the feeling I get from it now. It's just not right. And I can't see a toe adjustment fixing it. Christ, I bought a new car so I could stop pouring $$$ into an old one...oh well.

Reply to
John Z. Delorean

What ever made you think new cars don't breakdown? The all do, that is why they have warranty. ;)

mike hunt

"John Z. Delorean" wrote:

Reply to
DustyFendor

You need to have a frame shop look at it...

Reply to
noneyabusiness

Take it to a Firestone, and have an alignment check--19.99 I believe. You can then see what has happed. If one of you numbers is off, then something is bent. Sometimes the strut or lower control arm, and they may be able to replace it at the shop. We had a Ford Focus (Pita Delivery Vehicle) that has both lower control arms bent giving the car a negative camber. Junk yard parts fixed it (But I don't thing you will have any luck going that route) If it's a part that has to be ordered, then you may want to correct the toe until it comes in, stopping any toe wear. (Firestone offers a lifetime alignment, about 159.00, great deal if you plan to keep the car for a long time or if you are in the habit of hitting curbs a lot) If you feel more comfortable, then go to a body/frame shop, but you will at least be knowledgeable on what is going on.

Reply to
Steve