Engine Dies Suddenly

My 2001 GC's engines suddenly stops ... .. tried fuel cleaners and that helped a bit .. engine quits but the electrical power stays on.. sometimes just shifting into neutral and restarting solves the problem .. other times several restarts will start the engine back .. had Jeep to change the fuel filter .. could it be a dirty throttle body sensor ?? .. thanks for any help

Reply to
Mindy

This has all the earmarks of an electrical problem: loose and/or corroded connectors, a short some where, or a broken wire making intermittent contact (had that on an alternator fuse wire not long ago). First step: check all the ground wires and connections. Hard to say where to look next - it can be a tedious process to find crap like this.

Reply to
Will Honea

Start with the basics. Make sure the battery connectors are not lose.

Pulling the codes is the next step. AutoZone and other places usually do this for free. Although buying a scantool is a good investment.

Reply to
DougW

Yeah pull those codes. AFAIK A weak link are those Engine Speed Sensors (CranKshaft position Sensors), at least on the 6 cylinder engines. I think some dealers change them at every major engine service.

CamShaft position Sensor should set a hard fault but the ESS/CKS might not.

Maybe a defective fuel pump relay or fuel pump.

On other vehicles it is the ignition switch.

good luck!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

One post/thread is enough. Making multiple threads will result in confusing and conflicting advice...

Reply to
PeterD

thanks, started reading more and found that the sudden dies and hard starts are symptoms of failing CPS or CKS sensors .. now to try and see how hard to replace this ... 140,000 on this jeep and many I have heard fail in this time ... will start looking forward to this on my 2000 XJ as well .. any help in fixing this is always appreciated

Reply to
Mindy

With all of the trolls and jerks roaming these hallways, you have to pick on one person who is very polite but posts the same question twice?

You'll notice that there was only one reply to the first request, the second request brought answers.

Sheesh. Lighten up, no need being a netcop. Of if you really need to chastise someone, go after the trolls.

K.

One post/thread is enough. Making multiple threads will result in confusing and conflicting advice...

Reply to
Kate

Kate, I offer good advice, I don't often jump on people, but you instead just climb all over me like I'm a can of shit. Talk about lightening up, maybe you should?

All I said was one post would be more likely to get a good answer. I didn't call the poster a jerk, say anything derogitory about him/her, but you seem to feel that you can instead just call me something that is nasty. Gee, what'd I ever do bad to you?

Have a really, really good day. Oh, and Kate, did you reply to the poster's original or second post? No, you didn't, all you did was find time to climb on my butt, something that I hope made you feel really much better about life in general. Again, have a great day, you deserve it: you've managed to put me in my place, that was really nice of you.

Reply to
PeterD

It could have been my fault when I posted what I considered important information in the Subject line. I prefer to know what the thread is..........re: 2001 Jeep GC before it changes to something else unrelated. lol

I think we are all trying to be helpful here!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Woah Peter,

I wasn't jumping. Honestly. The tone may have come across all wrong in text, as it often does. If so, my apologies.

It's just there is so much ass biting in here these days that I hated to see someone looking for a helping hand getting scolded for a double post.

After looking over my original post, I can see why it irked you and looks like I am guilty of the exact same thing I was accusing you of.

Let's just hug and make up , ok?

K.

Kate, I offer good advice, I don't often jump on people, but you instead just climb all over me like I'm a can of shit. Talk about lightening up, maybe you should?

All I said was one post would be more likely to get a good answer. I didn't call the poster a jerk, say anything derogitory about him/her, but you seem to feel that you can instead just call me something that is nasty. Gee, what'd I ever do bad to you?

Have a really, really good day. Oh, and Kate, did you reply to the poster's original or second post? No, you didn't, all you did was find time to climb on my butt, something that I hope made you feel really much better about life in general. Again, have a great day, you deserve it: you've managed to put me in my place, that was really nice of you.

Reply to
Kate

A failing CPS can cause that issue, but first make sure the connector isn't corroded. When mine was failing it would do so when the vehicle was warmed up and just as I came to a stop it would shudder then die.

Replacing the CPS can be a bit of a pain because of where it is located. Links are for my 93ZJ, so it won't be the same as your WJ.

DougW

. . . .

You can ??? I can't. I thought your original was spot_on. On most days, coming here is met with bearing witness to cyber_wars, with one side taking cover in the trenches, and the the other side armed with nuclear warheads. Then along comes a legitmate post (or two ..... but who's counting), and a lurking, aspiring policy_maker imposes a wrist_slap. Bewildering, at best.

Reply to
Rod's SHAW

Is it throwing any codes? If you haven't checked, you should--many auto parts stores will run a code scan for you for free.

Reply to
J. Clarke

P0320 No Crank Reference Signal at PCM No reference signal (crankshaft position sensor) detected during engine cranking.

Reply to
Mindy

4.0 engine, CPS located on the front of the transmission housing, 11:00 position. 4.7 engine, CPS located just above the starter motor.
Reply to
DougW

Well, that in conjunction with the symptoms you are describing seems pretty clearly to point to the Crankshaft Position Sensor or its associated wiring. Clean the contacts and go over the wiring with a good light and a magnifier before you spend money to replace the sensor. Remember to use jackstands or blocks when you get under it, not just the jack (I'm sure you know to do that but I'd rather tell you something you already know than find out later that a Jeep fell on you). Especially make sure that nothing in the shift linkage is pulling, pushing, or otherwise hitting on the wiring--I don't know how likely that is on the 2001 but your mention that shifting into neutral sometimes corrects the problem suggests that as a possibility.

Reply to
J. Clarke

thanks for the words of caution... one never can give to much of that .. I may bit the bullet and let the pros do the change out .. a bit too technical to reach and rain for the next 3 days .. I'll give thanks for the rain here in dry Texas and pay to have a job done right ...

I notice the last time I was in the shop, saw they charge for hooking up dynastic on a chart of charges ... do they give me a whole sheet of problems or does the Jeep dealership keep it as their secrets ... what I wondering is if I should say simply "Change the CPS" and save money on hooking up to computer ... just trying to be cheap..ooops ... save money : )

Reply to
Mindy

That charge on the menu is generally for just the diaganostics with no repair, ie, just reading the codes. Most techs will want to read the codes for themselves before they change out the part, even if that's what you ask for. I always did, anyway. Never charged for that if I did the repair, as the diagnostic test is usually figured into the repair time.

Reply to
Old Crow

Absolutely, virtual 'hug' sent!

Reply to