catalytic converter and exhaust upgrade?

93 YJ - When I first start up in the morning the catalytic converter rattles like the dickens until it warms up (about a minute). The muffler has peeled a layer of rust. Obviously these will need to be replaced soon - my understanding is that working on a rusty exhaust systems can often be a lesson in frustration.

Without changing the air intake is there any sense in 'upgrading' the exhaust/ muffler when I replace it? Should I try to save on labor costs and do this myself?

thanks paul

Reply to
paul

You will realize some performance gain with a "cat back" performance system. Stainless is good because it doesn't rust. Check the online vendors like

for stainless kits from Borla, Gibson, etc. I would get one for the stainless, and you can pretend that there is a performance difference. You will need to buy a full set of hangers. These are figure-8 rubber donut things, weird-looking but I got mine from the Carquest dealer around the corner. The cat, I don't know because mine stopped rattling after a couple years and I live in an area where emissions testing "isn't required".

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

They can be a serious pain to work on when rusty, I think it is money well spent to let someone else cuss it out.

I went with a lifetime warranty Dynomax high flow muffler that sounds and works well. I'm on my second in 10 years.

For the cat rattle, check the heat shield. Lots of times is is just a foot that has broken loose that can be pried up or welded back on for no more noise.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > 93 YJ -
Reply to
Mike Romain

Or a real good excuse to buy new tools. :) Ye olde angle grinder works well in removing rusty U bolts and freeing up stuck exhaust pipes.

Gibson here. Still doing well.

If you d>> 93 YJ -

Reply to
DougW

Heat shield is ok,,,, maybe if I put it off long enough the rattle will go away like Earl's ! :-)

Plenty of rust and not a big enough budget for new tools.........

thanks guys! paul

Reply to
paul