Charging an optima

I was going through some of my paperwork last night in preparation for the upcoming move to Idaho, and noticed in my Schumacher charger paperwork that a charger should NEVER be used on a gel-cell battery, only a wet cell. WTF?

Reply to
Desert YJ

It is charging rates that matter, that charger of yours must be too fast. i worked for a robot company and we charged gel cell batteries by the dozens every day. It was a while back, but I think it was in the mili amp range on the chargers.

No worries with an Optima though, an Optima is a lead acid battery not a gel cell.

The neat part about the Optima design is the plates are tight coils with all the acid absorbed into them so none is available to 'leak' out.

Mike

Desert YJ wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

An Optima isn't a true gel cell. Check their website for charging info.

Robert Bills KG6LMV Orange County CA

Robert Bills

Their website confused me - they don't say exactly what it is ....

Reply to
Desert YJ