Cheapskate question

After they got the new engine in my Jeep the check engine light came on. Not really a big surprise, it's been doing that once in a while for about the last 100,000 miles.

The put it on the scanner and it was the rear oxygen sensor, which costs about $140.

My understanding is that sensor basically just tells the computer the Cat is working, and it doesn't really effect the way the engine runs.

Now the cheapskate question. These sensors go bad because they have deposits built up on them correct? Has anyone had any luck cleaning one of these things? If I have to spend the money I'll spend the money... after spending about 4 grand on an engine $140 isn't that much, but it's STILL $140 bucks!

Thanks!

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Jeff DeWitt did pass the time by typing:

Sensors can't be cleaned. Chemical sprays kill them (RTV especially). I have heard folks burn them clean with a acetylene torch. At any rate, $140 is too much, chryslerpartsdirect.com has them for about $84 and NAPA has them for $76 (BSH 13138)

Replaceing the sensor is a one-bannanna job. Take the old one out, screw the new one in, and hook it up.

Reply to
DougW

The cheapest place on those sensors that I have seen is at

They have them for like $55.00!

NT

Reply to
Nat Man

Wow, that is cheap! Have you or anyone else here done business with them? Any idea if this a quality part or am I going to be replacing it in a year?

Thanks!

Jeff DeWitt

Nat Man wrote:

Reply to