Oxygen sensor question

The check engine light on my 96 Cherokee is on, and the code is calling out the rear (after converter) oxygen sensor.

Auto Zone lists two sensors, both made by Bosch, one "O.E." type for $120 and a universal type for $55.

Money IS an object here, is there any huge hassle in using the cheaper universal sensor? Is there any overriding reason that I should spend the extra money for the O.E. sensor?

Thanks!

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

1996 XJ? I don't show a rear O2 sensor for that model. and the OEM forward O2 sensor is only $63 from chryslerpartsdirect.com The rear sensor started in 1997 and lists as $76.13 OEM

The only real difference in universal vs OEM is having to connectorize it. Sometimes that can be a real pain in the ass.

You can just put up with the CE light as all the rear O2 sensor does is check to see if the cat is working properly. Only the forward O2 sensor controls engine mixture.

One thing to try first is to get under, disconnect the harness from the sensor then spray the connector with some contact cleaner. Then put it back together. Don't spray the sensor.

Reply to
DougW

Doug,

Yep, it's a 96 XJ, I know it's got the sensor because I've seen it, and the parts stores do list both sensors.

I have to fix it because it won't pass inspection with that light on and a trouble code, otherwise I'd just take the bulb out, that fix worked fine with the up shift light!

The sensor has over 300,000 miles on it and has been acting up for about the last 100,000 but cleaning the connector first is a good idea, I'll try that before spending the money on a new one.

Thanks!

Jeff DeWitt

DougW wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

Do a google for it. I paid about $120 for both OEM types for my old 96. The front one is worn out at 300k even if there is no cel. You'll get more MPG's. As another posted, try reseating the connectors first. They originally had DENSO brand o2 sensors. They have them here:

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

the cheaper one will not have the plug on it.. you will have to splice and connect the wires together.

Reply to
Jeeper

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

You need a new book. OBDII and cat monitoring started in '96.

I see tons of failed aftermarket Bosch O2 sensors, and the universal ones are the worst.

Not entirely true.

Reply to
bllsht

I recommend getting a sensor that is a direct plug-in, NOT a universal one that has to be spliced.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

REPLY #2 I recently (last week) installed a Bosch O2 Sensor in my Bronco that cost me just over $45.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland