Cherokee engine noise in the tropics?

I have earlier posted a message regarding engine noise (Subject: Hammering / knocking noise on 4.0L6 '99 Cherokee) but suspect now more of a electronic problem. Could the cause of this problem be found within the electronic / contact / sensor input complex?

Today, no noise at all, so far. No noise at cold start, no noise during normal driving conditions with a warm engine. No noise whatsoever.

So, if it would be a purely mechanical problem such as piston slap, hydraulic lifters, or carbon build up, why is there no noise today, or why can stopping and restarting the engine sometimes stop the problem immediately?

I am living in the tropics (Thailand) with a very high humidity of around 80-90%. Could it be, that somewhere, an electronic contact or a wrong sensor input causes the engine to produce this ticking / knocking sounds sometimes?

Reply to
Robert Goldpalm

I believe the problem may involve monkeys.

Reply to
Jay Stuler

Have a mechanic do a tune up. Change the plugs, wires, and distributor cap.

Reply to
Mark12211