Help finding a stock radio antenna for CJ

I recently purchased an '86 CJ that has the antenna base but not the mast. Does anyone know who sells them? Located some aftermarkets that require 3 hole drilled. I would rather use the stock hole. Thanks!

Reply to
cspud

My stock one actually has 4 holes. One for the wire and three for the screws/bolts that hold it on.

Mike

cspud wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

there are two types used, one is the more common upsidedown triangle shaped based (3 mounting screws) and the other is one larger hole with a ball socket shaped mount. It has a large ring/nut that tightens from the inside (near the air box). The first one is easy to find as an aftermarket replacement (looks the same)

Reply to
Onlyinajeepcj7

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Onlyinajeepcj7) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m28.aol.com:

Mine is the latter. It tightens by a phillips from the outside. It basically looks like 2 circles - one vertical (attaching through the body) and one horizontal (with a threaded section in the center for the mast). I am having no luck locating even just the mast. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
cspud

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

The site you posted has the 3 hole design, not the original one hole design. The mast is not the same either. Thanks anyway. I, also, checked with the junkyard free nationwide lookup and came up empty. Hard to believe but maybe they don't list those on the nationwide lookup. Finally, I called the local Jeep dealer and they can get the mast for a little over eleven dollars. Shoulda tried there first. Thanks again all!

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@cox.net:

Reply to
cspud

"junkyard free nationwide lookup" How do I do that??

Reply to
Joe

In our area (I assume all over) the junkyards (used auto parts centers :) ) have the number in the yellow pages.

"Joe" wrote in news:bp0c7c$1j6oie$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-207166.news.uni-berlin.de:

Reply to
cspud

Sorry, I assumed a website...

Reply to
Joe

The one hole type is sold generically at all our auto parts places. Something like the CJ tail light fixture or lense, it is just a generic trailer light and is really common and cheap.

Now that you mention it, I have seen some CJ's with the ball joint and thought they looked ugly and figured they were a cheapie replacement one. I have had a bunch of those over the years and they all looked pretty much the same.

I would forget Jeep specific and just look at brands of antennas. I will bet you find it under generic 'one size fits all' or 'universal' antennas.

AMC was good for doing some things like that.

I had a Mazda once and the tail light fixture was $800.00 freaking dollars! The CJ one is $25.00 with the licensee plate light/lense or $15.00 without.

Mike

cspud wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Unfortunately, our auto part stores don't sell antenna's. Probably the same reason WalMart doesn't sell them anymore - almost all the new cars have them in the windshield. If you check on the web I think the "universal" ones are all the three hole type. I want to keep it the way I bought it. Ugly or not no one around here has them. As I stated, even the locating service nationwide didn't have them. I have the last year CJ and all the original paper work and no rust holes anywhere on it. I'm keeping it the way it came from the factory and not drilling more holes in it to mount a generic antenna. Ordering it from the local Jeep dealer was only a little over $11. I'm happy. Thanks for your time writing back.

Mike Romain wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca:

Reply to
cspud

I had to buy my stock configuration radio antenna from the dealer.

Reply to
CRWLR