406 hdi 2000 V plate idle judder and engine management on.

hi all.

i hope someone can help me out here, this would be my 4th 406 hdi, i love them to bits, but the one i bought 2 days ago is making me think twice!!

here we go!

Peugeot 406 2.0 hdi

2000 V reg 110 bhp 90,000 miles saloon

when i purchased the car it had 3 problems which 2 were rectified pretty quickly.

  1. knocking noise from rear when going over speed bumps. - sorted by replacing both rear drop links

  1. abs kicking in at low speed stop - faulty rear abs sensor replaced

  2. judder/misfire on idle.

drove the car for about 8 miles, and then the engine management light comes on!!

tried the obvious switching it off and back on, still on

took it to the local garage who hooked it up to their computer and he said there could be two problems.

  1. throttle body sensor - he is gonna try and clean it

  1. glow plugs - check for current/replace if need to

just wanted your advice see anyone has had this problem before and what was the solution.

none of the cars i have had before, had these kind of problems even though they have done double the mileage.

thanks in advance for your answers.

Reply to
civicvti99

Hi,

Why not.

IMO, it is very unlikely to happen : on these engines, glow plugs are only used for cold start at cold temperatures. Last winter, when I used to start up the engine with a little -10°C, the light used to come on for 10 seconds. Anyway, the temperature in the chambers rises quite fast once started, and you shouldn't have any trouble after some seconds or minutes.

Misfiring on idle could also be caused by a faulty temp sensor, which would inform the ECU that the engine is (falsely) warm and then the ECU would stay on a std warm idle, which is 50-100 RPM lower than the cold idle. I saw a similar problem once on an Iveco Daily 2.8D (old engine, classic fuel injection), it was rattling and vibrating as hell when cold.

Coolant sensor worthes a check, too, IMO.

HTH,

Reply to
G.T

hi G.T,

thanks for the input,

glow plugs work fine as i have not had a starting issue, starts first time no smoke whatsoever.

mate of mine had a problem with his throttle body sensor which caused the engine management light on, he got it cleaned and adjusted?? (can they be adjusted?), but then again his problem was loss of power.

its going in today see what they can do.

thanks once again, i will keep this updated!

Reply to
civicvti99

got car back yesterday,

mechanic said he has checked glow plugs one of them definately needs replacing, gonna get all four replaced.

throttle body sensor is also playing up requires new one!!

find one at local dismantlers 25.00 quid, but gonna find out how much a new one is aaaaahhhhhh

going back in on monday.

are all throttle body sensors the same on all 2.0 hdi 110bhp? or are there different ones? if so what code and where do i find it?

Reply to
civicvti99

hi G.T.

going back to the temp semsor, the car temp on dial always starts off about 60 even though the lowest is 50 even from cold!!

temp sensor faulty?

Reply to
civicvti99

talking to myself here!!

but info for anyone in future with similar problems.

got car back yesterday, fitted a throttle body sensor reset engine management light, everything ok!!

did not change plugs but will need doing near winter time.

guy at scrapyard said that if it comes back to change air flow meter as these can go too causing similar problems.

keep an eye on it now!!!

Reply to
civicvti99

Thanks for coming back with it. Others may well find the information useful.

Reply to
Tinkerer

My 407 hdi was shuddering on idle - turned out to be water in the diesel. They drained and cleaned the tank, replaced the filter, and it now works fine (I am in correspondence with the people who last filled my tank!).

Reply to
Ken