Cherokee fuel pump

Can anyone please tell me if I need to drop the tank to replace the fuel pump on a 1997 Cherokee Sport?

TIA,

Dave

Reply to
David Amundi

You don't have to on the AMC Cherokees, not sure about the Chrysler version. On the old ones, the pump changes from the front of the tank.

Ok, I am not sure about this, but your fuel sending unit is under recall. They will replace it.

I 'think', but could be way off, that the sending unit is part of the fuel pump, so you get everything.

I am sure someone here knows for sure.

Mike

David Amundi wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

For what it's worth ... and if I remember my mechanic's words correctly as he was scanning for parts, the '96 (which mine is) is the only year the pump/sending were combined.

Reply to
bowgus

Reply to
mic canic

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks all.

Reply to
David Amundi

Mic canic.

Would you please at least do some basic homework before coming on this board and lying to people!

The 97 XJ indeed has a recall on the fuel sender. The recall info:

JEEP Model : CHEROKEE Year : 1997 Manufacturer : DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATION NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 97V194000 Recall Date : NOV 04, 1997 Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY

From this link:

I bet you are lying about having to drop the tank too!

Anything to scam money out of the poor 'mark' eh?

Mike

mic canic wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Well, 'mic canic' is a liar about the recall and I bet about dropping the tank too. My book shows the pump coming out from the front on all the Cherokees now that I went and looked it up. Book could be wrong, but...

It is easy to tell. Just go under and look at the front of the gas tank. If you see the gas lines going into a circle shaped plate on the front top of the tank, the pump comes out that way.

Mike

David Amundi wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

No Mike the tank has to come out. I have a 97 XJ, and that recall was not in the range on my Vi. No. so Chrysler wouldn't pay for it. The new sender comes with a new Gasket and new bolts for the tank straps. The bet way I have found is to cut the old bolts with a Sawzall. Dave

Reply to
Dave Best

Too bad the 97 Cherokee recall missed your VIN.

It would figure Chrysler wanting their 'mechanics' to make more money on a common fix so they hid the pump. Anything to be able to charge more for a repair eh. It was 'way' too easy to change the older pumps. Only a half hour labor sitting in the driveway.

My book only goes up to 97 and doesn't cover those tank changes. That is when Chrysler really started messing around it would seem eh.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

hey i'm not a egotistical ass like you and i can say oops i made a mistake

now that i remember you don't have to totally drop the tank just angle it one the right side to access the lock ring now that i think about it i did very few xj's for the recall and tons of tj's and zj's

i just love gett> Mic canic.

Reply to
mic canic