Cherokee leaking radiator?

I've developed a coolant leak in my '97 cherokee 4.0l. I drove 6 miles the other day and when I parked there was a sudden gush of coolant which came from the hole in the front valance (or whatever the large piece of rubber is called that covers the front of the engine bay bottom). I topped up the coolant and now I have a leak that eminates from somewhere at the front and collects on the valance before dropping through the hole, using 1/2 the expansion tank capacity each day. The temp guage is where it always is and I've always topped up with antifreeze mix.

I've added a bottle of bars seal without much effect and have been quoted £236 to supply and fit a radiator, but I can't tell where the leak is, what with the A/C stuff and other gubbins in the way. The top of the water pump looks dry, but are there other places where I could spring a leak?

Thanks in advance...

Reply to
Danny

To check the water pump feel inside of the pulley that's mounted on the front. The radiator is most likely the culprit and it will get worse. Over here in the US new radiators can be had for $120 and are not too hard to replace. My son replaced the one on his 96 XJ when I was away on a training class. But his let go big time in the driveway so you had better replace it. Did your shop verify it was the radiator? Also bars can plug things besides leaks!

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Thanks for the reply - I'll check the area you suggest. Bars is actually recommended for year round use by the manufacturer of another car I drive - Saab. I haven't had any verification yet as to where the leak is.

Reply to
Danny

Turns out it is the water pump - had it pressure tested today and water gushed out from behind the pulley...

Main agent is actually cheaper than local back street garage to supply and fit.

Reply to
Danny