Cherokee Model Query

Is this the same 2.8 liter V-6 that would have been in the '86 Camaros?

My (ex-)wife's was fuel injected and I was surprised at how well it ran. She and her boyfriend used it for a couple years to tow a ski-boat.

My '81 Malibu with the 3.8 liver V-6 did not run as well.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Okay, that might explain why you see so many on the road, but if they are so nice you do have to wonder why you see so many FOR SALE. I mean Subarus are great cars, look nice, and you see a lot of them on the road... but I rarely ever see them for sale in a used car lot. Everyone I know who has had a Subaru (including me) has pretty much kept them until they run the wheels off.

No doubt a lot show up on lots simply because a large number were sold, but when I went looking for a solid, used, Cherokee last November I found the following...

-A handful of 2WD Cherokees (Why the heck would anyone buy a 2WD Jeep?). They were all in great shape, but I needed 4WD.

-A handful of 4WD Cherokees of various trim packages, most of which were in good shape but nearly all of them had some sort of cooling system issue(s) and a few had bad neutral safety switches.

-A large number of Grand Cherokees, most in good-to-great shape overall, but almost every darn one had an electrical issue of some sort (from nitpicky "rear window won't always roll down I think it needs a new switch" all the way up to "none of the lights work" !

Maybe it's just me, I HATE dealing with electrical gremlins. In the end I bought a 97 Cherokee sport, re-did the cooling system, and it's treated me well ever since. Drifter "I've been here, I've been there..."

Reply to
Drifter

Pretty sure it was. It was the same carbureted motor they used in the little blazers.

Reply to
bllsht

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I have 285K km on my Cherokee (XJ) and I'll get another one if it ever quits. The 4.0L straight 6 is great. Parts are mostly cheap, many aftermarket mods available, and DIY maintenance is relatively easy with lots of info on the net:

Look for 'Selectrac' transfer case with the full time 4wd option - nice for winter driving. Look for the Corporate 8.25" rear end as opposed to the weaker Dana 35. A model with ABS will always have a Dana 35. Also look for models with towing package and 3.73 gearing in the differentials (rare, but nice to have). Watch for rust in rocker panels and floors.

Steve

M> I've been considering the purchase of a 4WD for winter use and general

Reply to
Steve