97 Jeep cherokee purchase?

There is a 97 Jeep Cherokee with 170k miles, base model with A/C, I6,

5sp for sale listed at 3400$.

Gas gauge doesn't work, missing one hubcab, exhaust sounds like its full of marbles. Seems to run good otherwise, 4wd works. Cosmetically "good."

The guy got it at an auto auction and has had it on his lot for 2 months, which seems to me like a long time to hold inventory for a used car dealer. He said the big problem was trying to sell the standard transmission.

Should I be worried about this jeep?

I was going to offer 2000 and a 93 saturn wagon for trade, how reasonable is this?

I'm really tempted, this guy has to be the best salesman I've ever met. To get the car off his lot onto the highway he put in 4 Low and crawled up the grass embankment.

Reply to
Robert

Fuel pump assembly, new sender (providing it's not just a disconnected wire or blown fuse) If you get this Jeep, get yourself the service book (expensive but pays back after the first repair)

marbles is usually a disintegrating cat. I'd listen under the vehicle and get a mechanic to give it a once-over just to be safe.

I dunno.. is it stalking you? :]

I'd find out what he wants for it then negotiate the trade-in. All depends on the bluebook value of your trade-in.

Reply to
DougW

Could be the fuse or wiring, if not then its the pump assembly (contains the pump and sending unit) this could be expensive ($300-$400) depending on where you get the part from. Marble sound in exhaust is normally the cat going or gone bad and it will need replacing, hows the rest of the exhaust?

If all it needs are these two repairs I'd go for it. That said read the end of this message for a list of things to look for before you buy.

I would check out the resale value of the J**P and your Saturn in a blue book for you geographic region, some vehicles have a higher or lower value in different markets.

at least you know the 4x4 works :)

Ok things to check... if the J**P has running boards on it, carefully inspect the rocker panels for rust and holes. Either crawl under or have the vehicle lifted on a hoist and inspect the floor pans from the underside, you looking for rusted out sections, take a close look at the tranny hump area and the drivers floor. (J**P uses this really good rubber backed carpet, keeps water on the surface of the carpet but also traps any and all moisture between the carpet and the floor) Bill has some pics of what a bad floor looks like:). If your able from the underside inspect the backside of the quarter panels and look at the underside of the rear cargo floor (difficult to do unless the vehicle is on a hoist).

If these areas look good, then your set. If it has running boards, remove them after you buy it, or you'll be replacing rocker panels in a few years.

As was mentioned have a trusted mechanic inspect the vehicle prior to purchase.

Snow...

93 ZJ Wifey's ride 89 Chevy Wagon 93 XJ recently retired (swiss cheese syndrome)
Reply to
Snow

That seems reasonable IF he repairs all of the problems you listed first, and it passes the inspection of an independent mechanic that you will hire, second. Best $100 you'll ever spend. If he says NO, walk.

Reply to
Outatime