CJ 4WD vs TJ 4WD

What are the differences between the CJ 4WD system and the TJ 4WD?

I hear limited slip on the TJ what does that mean?

Reply to
Arvin

L.W.(ßill)

exactly!!!

8~)>

-- bob z.

"people with less brain power than you are doing more difficult things everyday"©

Reply to
bob zee

CJ uses larger wheel bolt pattern to allow for locking hubs to disconnect the front drivesystem saving wear and tear and uses a grear driven t-case with a simple shift lever The Wrangers use a smaller wheel pattern so there are no lockouts and the front axle shafts spin in the housing and diff AND use a vacumm disconnect system on the axle and chain driven t-case.... A word of difference...I choose option A

Reply to
Onlyinajeepcj7

On 21 Jan 2004 07:36 PM, Onlyinajeepcj7 posted the following:

The TJ does not have a vacuum disconnect. The front axle assembly spins all the time, just like the Willys MB. 8^) At least 2 different lockout hub kits are available for the Wranglers; Jeep just doesn't see fit to install them from the factory.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

Do all the TJs have this limited slip?

Reply to
Arvin

Reply to
twaldron

TJ's do not use vacuum disconnect.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Nah, at the trailhead when everyone's freezing their a$$es off locking in their hubs I just stay in my Jeep all warm and toasty. (I say that as if I have had time in the last month to go 'wheeling...)

Geez, I bet it didn't

Still at the dealer :-(. They can't recreate the condition. Isn't that always the case? Last truck I buy with auto hubs.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

What about turning radius? The leaf spring rigs I have owned turned like a supertanker, the coil spring rigs turn on a dime - very handy in timber if you do not want to scrape sheet metal against pine trees.

By the way, the sealed ultra frictionless front bearings on the TJ are very definatly a bonus. I really hate it when I have to hold my breath to get to Molly's lock outs...

Reply to
John Welch