odd Shift pattern

I looked at a 80 CJ7 tonight that had a strange shift pattern. It is a 4 speed in a classic "H" pattern, but the reverse was to the left and forward ( ie toward the driver and towards the dash). I did not crawl underneath to try to read any stamps on it. But I am stumped at what it would be. Does anyone make a tranny in that pattern that would mount in a CJ? I am not a ford guy, but does ford make one that has reverse to the left - rear?? Is it a ford left - rear with the linkage installed wrong? Any other ideas what it may be?

R 1 3 |---| 2 4

Reply to
Fletcher

L.W.(ßill)

NO DOUBT!

8~)>

-- bob z.

"people with less brain power than you are doing more difficult things everyday"©

Reply to
bob zee

It's an SR4

Reply to
Greg

My CJ has an old Ford trans that is a 4 spd with R over to the right, and back. I said my trans was a Ford, but the truth is the donor was a '65 Ford

3/4 ton truck, the trans itself is a NP435 with a 6.69:1 granny lo 1st gear. R is also about the same ratio. I can put my Jeep in LO range in the tcase, select 1st gear, let the clutch out at idle, get out and walk around it before it can roll twice the length of the wheelbase. This is not a very useful feature, except that it means my Jeep can dig holes under each tire without stalling, and it can pull my house off of its foundation. The down side is that I can not shift from 1st to 2nd without coming to a full stop. Basically, speed-shifts are out of the question.

Reply to
CRWLR

Your house does not have a foundation! Ya gotta go north where we have cold, and frost, and winter, and ice, and wind chill before the inspectors want a foundation. :)

Cheers. (Currently -24 w> My CJ has an old Ford trans that is a 4 spd with R over to the right, and

Reply to
Roy J

It's been a long time since that pattern was "typical"... the only vehicles you find with reverse to the upper left anymore are semi's, dumps and six wheelers.

I don't know what front wheel drive or rice burners has to do with it... My 65 Mustang had a three speed with reverse in the "typical" pattern... That is to say: down and to the right.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

24 and dropping? We expect to hit 70 today. We are dropping though.

We have foundations here. I think they are called "slabs", but they have very deep footings just like any foundation would have. My house rests on the slab, and has a few bolts holding it down. Mostly, it stays put because of its weight. The bolts help, of course, but they actually want the house to fit loosely so that it can slide around a little instead of being ripped apart when the ground starts moving, as it is prone to do here on the Left Coast.

24 and dropping, bbbbuuuurrrr. Bill would need batteries in his snake skin thong, or the shrinkage would cause the thong to fall off, or at least flap alot.
Reply to
CRWLR

While you're right, I forgot the 65's three speed pattern, why do you automatically assume I'm lying as opposed to simply mistaken? Anyway the pattern hasn't been "typical" for 25 years, rice or American made.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

SNIP Anyway the

Reply to
twaldron

...and the bolts were still made of mammoth tusk.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

and a lot of European or Japanese vehicles, including some of the products of Solihull to bring it back round to off road vehicles

Reply to
Martyn Hodson