CJ Nerf bars: Was welding question

Anyone have pictures of a nerf bar bolted to a CJ frame? I installed a set of new ones on my 2001 Ranger and of course it bolted up to existing holes in the frame. Are there holes in the CJ frame for this?? It's too damn cold for me to trek out to my jeep tonight. And IF I have to drill new holes...what is the best way to get a nut on the back of the bolts?!? They'd almost have to go clear through to the other side of the frame wouldn't they?!? Allen

83 CJ7
Reply to
Allen

Mine are welded on. I believe they are factory on the 84 that I have. Laredo edition. I've seen them on others that are similar years and they are welded on also. But, I sounds like welding to the frame is not a good idea from some of the others posts. I don't know anything about welding, but can bolt pretty good.

Reply to
Dan Ferrell

You can "bolt?" Weird.

Reply to
Joseph P

Are these foam, like nerf balls?

Reply to
Paul Calman

I can take some pictures tonight and post. I didn't install mine (there when I bought the Jeep), so I'm not sure how, but they are bolted on. You don't want to bolt all the way through the frame unless you use spacers to keep the frame from collapsing.

Reply to
JimG

You may want to consider what you are planning to do with your jeep. That is, if you are going rock crawling these might be a hinderance. If it's just a dd or street or even light 4x4 then it will be ok. Some experienced rock crawlers can give a better reply.

bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Strictly a toy...no serious long term off road,..but I do get out every once in a while. Allen

experienced

Reply to
Allen

There are several types of boulder bars that work (and look) much better than Nerfs. Nerf bars are for looks only, they rob ground clearance and frequently get torn off if they hit on anything. Take a look at Sun Performance and BoulderBars for some ideas on products that work WAY BETTER than Nerfs.

Reply to
CRWLR

I installed a set.. There are no holes. You'll need to drill them. They you use self tapping bolts. Don't worry about the frame by drillling holes in it.

I think they came (the smitty ones) came with 5/8th bolts.

I can take a pic if you want to see. I got lazy putting mine is and put 2 or 3 bolts per end. I've beat the heck out of them, and they are still holding up. I was even T-boned. It was a pretty good jar for me, but it mangled up the little rice burner. No dammage to the nerf bar or my frame. I've also drug them across rocks wheeling. Saved my rockers. You do loose a little ground clearance.

Mike

Reply to
MikeG

These are used and not here yet..not sure what hardware they'll come with. Sounds like I'll have to drill out the frame..possibly tap?? But yeah,..pictures would be great! Thanks! Allen

Reply to
Allen

I had to drill holes in my '75 CJ 5. The kit did come with shelf tapping bolts, but I went a step further and got Grade 8 bolts, washers, nuts. Don't worry about drilling the frame holes. The only advice when doing this is to use a sharp high speed steel bit and oil for lube/cutting. I needed to resharpen my bit a couple times during the install. When drilling, don't drill as fast as you can. You'll burn though your bits faster. ****** WATCH OUT FOR YOUR BRAKE LINES AND ANY ELEC. WIRING!!!!!

Paul

Reply to
Paul Brogren

-- I AM NOT PARANOID .. .. .. but EVERYONE thinks I am !! !! !!

Reply to
Anonymous

I put some nerf bars on my CJ and I can't remember the brand (if you are interested send me and e-mail) My bars came with self tapping bolts and I used some jack stands to hold the bar while I marked and drilled. It was a little tough for one person but I managed it. I use them every day without any problems. Make sure you put them on the correct side. Go to my web page and click on steps for an example.

Arvin